Powder coating

Well some are better than others... WhatI meant was that some I have dealt with had a pretty good product.. Like Rosies seems to be ok, and powderbuythepound is pretty good too.

Well some are better than others... WhatI meant was that some I have dealt with had a pretty good product.. Like Rosies seems to be ok, and powderbuythepound is pretty good too.

ohhh yeah. well hopfully i get more powder soon because i wanna powder coat more lol

Me and my friend built a quick powder booth. not the best by far haha but it does what you need it to do.

Attachments

• 0731090023a_452840.jpg
    0731090023a_452840.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 0731090023b_375152.jpg
    0731090023b_375152.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 118
make sure you get a fan for that booth. if you dont have a fan, its like you never had a booth at all. the fan in ours broke and now there is powder all over the garage. you need one strong enough to grab all the stuff floating in the air and a filter in front of it to catch all the excess powder.

make sure you get a fan for that booth. if you dont have a fan, its like you never had a booth at all. the fan in ours broke and now there is powder all over the garage. you need one strong enough to grab all the stuff floating in the air and a filter in front of it to catch all the excess powder.

Alright.
yeah i never thought of that thanks

Good start on that booth... What do you hang your pieces on?

A fan is necessary, and I mounted a light in mine too...

Good start on that booth... What do you hang your pieces on?

A fan is necessary, and I mounted a light in mine too...

We put our oven racks on the top and hang it from there.so then we just take the whole rack and put it in the oven

Newbie here guys...but I ran across this and couldn't resist from writing from my personal knowledge. The "bubbles" you may see in coating is commonly referred to as "outgassing" of the metal. It's alot to explain the process at which it occurs...but how to cure that is easily done by baking ANY aluminum after sandblasting around 425-450* for about 15 minutes or longer, depending on the thickness of the aluminum. I try to outgas iron too that has been exposed to oil and gas in it's lifetime.

Another thing you guys wanna try is using this stuff called iron phosphate. You can order it from columbia coatings. You just dilute it in de-ionized water, or buy some water from the store that is mineral free. Rinse the part in that solution for about 2-3 minutes, then rinse with the deionized water. Stick it in the oven to get it dry and a little warm, then shoot the powder to it. The powder sticks really well after prepping it this way. I use to hit my sample panels with a ball peen hammer and the powder never chipped or flaked off. Also stuck the banged up sample panel outside in the exposed elements for months with zero rust issues.

I have powder coated on my own for several years and use to do it commercially for a business in Florida, so I am pretty solid on my advice. Make sure all the previous coating is stripped off completely, then sandblast after that for a good "etch" on the metal to offer better adhesion.

I just bought an 02' blaster and am going to tear it down thru the winter months and powder coat everything. I will be sure to post up some pics of my progress as well.

Hope this knowledge helps! If you guys need some links to buy good reputable powder, let me know!

I also built my own 6' powder coating oven to do frames...but it is currently disassembled due to moving. It will be back up though soon to start on this Blaster!

^^^^^^Great advice^^^^^^ I think it was talked about earlier in the thread that this main problem was probably his prep work to his metal. Hitting it with paint stripper and nothing else is NOT going to clean it correctly. Blasting the part is your best option.

Welcome to the forum and any advice that you have on powdering will be greatly accepted.

There is one other professional powder coater on the forum and then 3 that do that do it as a hobby and have done parts for other members on this forum. timsyfz, djack12 and myself all powder for members on this forum.

Here a a link to some of our work: http://www.blasterforum.com/off-topic-7/powder-coating-pictures-8458/

Thanks! Would you guys mind me posting up some pics here in a bit of some of my work on that thread as well?

I did alot of custom work for the off road community in Toyotas and some import guys. Have done a bunch of stuff previously on a Banshee too, and a guys frame in candy blue transparent awhile back.

Prep is 110% of flaws in powder coating...once ya get that down, the rest is cake!

Newbie here guys...but I ran across this and couldn't resist from writing from my personal knowledge. The "bubbles" you may see in coating is commonly referred to as "outgassing" of the metal. It's alot to explain the process at which it occurs...but how to cure that is easily done by baking ANY aluminum after sandblasting around 425-450* for about 15 minutes or longer, depending on the thickness of the aluminum. I try to outgas iron too that has been exposed to oil and gas in it's lifetime.

Another thing you guys wanna try is using this stuff called iron phosphate. You can order it from columbia coatings. You just dilute it in de-ionized water, or buy some water from the store that is mineral free. Rinse the part in that solution for about 2-3 minutes, then rinse with the deionized water. Stick it in the oven to get it dry and a little warm, then shoot the powder to it. The powder sticks really well after prepping it this way. I use to hit my sample panels with a ball peen hammer and the powder never chipped or flaked off. Also stuck the banged up sample panel outside in the exposed elements for months with zero rust issues.

I have powder coated on my own for several years and use to do it commercially for a business in Florida, so I am pretty solid on my advice. Make sure all the previous coating is stripped off completely, then sandblast after that for a good "etch" on the metal to offer better adhesion.

I just bought an 02' blaster and am going to tear it down thru the winter months and powder coat everything. I will be sure to post up some pics of my progress as well.

Hope this knowledge helps! If you guys need some links to buy good reputable powder, let me know!

I also built my own 6' powder coating oven to do frames...but it is currently disassembled due to moving. It will be back up though soon to start on this Blaster!

Thanks!
Is the columbia coatings powder any good?

Thanks!
Is the columbia coatings powder any good?

I've had no problems from them. I use to use Tiger Drylac for powders....a little pricey but very good powder. I also used some eastwood powder....kinda crappy...and some from Caswell that worked very well. Caswell has crappy transparents tho. Thats the main ones that I have had.

Thanks! Would you guys mind me posting up some pics here in a bit of some of my work on that thread as well?

I did alot of custom work for the off road community in Toyotas and some import guys. Have done a bunch of stuff previously on a Banshee too, and a guys frame in candy blue transparent awhile back.

Prep is 110% of flaws in powder coating...once ya get that down, the rest is cake!

Feel free to start your own thread and post some pics of your PC work...i am sure everybody would enjoy.