Powder coating

Alex

Jul 13, 2009
This is my first thing i powder coated is m heal guards, and im using harbor freight powder and i baked it at 40 for 15 minutes. and its bubbling up as you can see in the picture what is causing this or what am i doing wrong? anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• 0728091354c.jpg
    0728091354c.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 132
maybe ur useing to much PSI to ur gun ,,, and maybe is clogging up and pukeing it out

everything comes out fine like spray wise its just that it bubles up. it looks fine for like the first 5 minutes of when its baking then it starts to bubble

well my dad is workin right now..but see if any of these people come on here later and ask them,,,,timyfz,reedracing94,djack12,cc&fabb.......if any of them people are on ask them

i think someone mentioned harbor frieght powder clumps alot

try different powder??? maybe

yeah that's what i was thinking. i would think that harbor freight since everything in that store is generic the powder probably wouldn't be the greatest either.

Well it looks like it may have been laid on a a little thick.. Try using a lower psi maybe 10-20 psi on your gun. With a HF gun you may need to shake the gun alot while sparaying to keep the powder fluidized.

I generally bake mine before I powder to help bake off some inperfections in the metal (especially aluminum). With the discoloration it appears that you may have burned it. After it flows out (turns shiny) you will want to keep them in there for 10-15 minutes at about 375 ish. You can peek in quickly to check it, but not too often.

You could try a lower temp or shorter time. Mineral spirits are a pretty good way to do a final cleanup prior to baking.

Well it looks like it may have been laid on a a little thick.. Try using a lower psi maybe 10-20 psi on your gun. With a HF gun you may need to shake the gun alot while sparaying to keep the powder fluidized.

I generally bake mine before I powder to help bake off some inperfections in the metal (especially aluminum). With the discoloration it appears that you may have burned it. After it flows out (turns shiny) you will want to keep them in there for 10-15 minutes at about 375 ish. You can peek in quickly to check it, but not too often.

You could try a lower temp or shorter time. Mineral spirits are a pretty good way to do a final cleanup prior to baking.

yeah. ill try baking it at a lower temp.how long do you bake it for before you spray it?
and do you spray it when its still hot?

each powder has its own cure time and temp. also you need to clean the product before the powder goes on. paint stripper is not a cleaner.

i for one spray my parts down with acetone before they go in the oven.

I spray it at about 150-200 degrees. Its hot enough to start melting th epowder, but not hot enough to completely melt it.

I spray it at about 150-200 degrees. Its hot enough to start melting th epowder, but not hot enough to completely melt it.

Alright. when i get some more powder ill try. i got some off ebay. idk how good it is.