Possibly buying a project

trailripper1500

Feb 16, 2008
Hope Valley RI
Well i might be back on here more often cuz i may be getting another blaster. I don't know if i should buy it or not. The guy wants somewhere around $500. It doesn't run it needs a new top end.

My friend and i anticipate splitting the cost somehow but if it isn't running i'm not paying no 500 bucks. $350/375 is more like it. This way we can port it or something and bore it out, options are open. Haven't seen it yet but i might this weekend.

Its gonna be harder to look over cuz it doesnt run, but if it does have some other issue i can at least get the top end together and run it and maybe resell. What things should i look for before making a decision?

Reactions: brandoz28
check the frame for cracks, toss it buy him if u can look in the engine and see what u are looking at. Ask what bore it is at cause u are looking at some serious money if it is maxed out, check the air box for evidence of water/mud if he hasn't cleaned it, some other things i am missing...

man that looks like a half put together cluster-phuck

there are some good parts there, but i would be wary....plenty of parts missing too

I can't see the pic, but if you are talking a basket-case, then 350 would be about my limit too. When looking at a bike that needs repair, you have to factor in what it would cost for a SHOP to do the work. That fact that you are handy enough to do it yourself is a bonus, but not part of the deal.

man that looks like a half put together cluster-phuck

there are some good parts there, but i would be wary....plenty of parts missing too

damn brando that was a pic of his quad. way to hurt the dudes feelings. lol

no way i would pay more that 400 for a non running blaster unless it has all sorts of great mods. the rear tires look good at least

that was my bad!

sorry dude, i was hoping you weren't looking at that and going to pay a bunch for it, can't wait to see if you get the new project and what you do with it and the one in your sig

have a little rep for me bein ignorant lol

i'll just chew it off lol.

the one in his sig looks like a good project if he tore it down, but trust me, you don't want one someone else started on......then lost half the pieces for....and phucked up the majority of the rest

Yeah i was thinking he was talking about the on in my sig., traded that for a 300ex in 08. I don't have it anymore. I know it needed more than i put into it. It needed a chain, axle bearings, paint looked bad, but that was not the last pic of it. It had the footpegs painted up nice and the kickstart was back on and it had hydro rear brakes, new clutch and cable. It ran really good right when i got rid of it. The 300 is a good quad but its a pita in tight trails. Its a lot like riding a warrior cuz its bulky and heavy.

Im looking for a quad me and my buddy can ride that has better handling in tight woods trails. I just started college and commuting 70 miles a day so money is not a luxury for me right now. Im thinking if we save $25 bucks each person every month it'll add up over time. $50 a month for a year comes out to $600.

IF or WHEN we get this thing I think i'm just gonna put the top end together stock and see how it runs for a while, then see if the quad is worth putting money into. If we find other significant problems we can always re-sell it after we get it running and get a return on the investment and put that cash towards another blaster.

When i go check it out i'm gonna look at the chain, check the axle bearings, frame, airbox, dipstick, wheels/tires, suspension, tie rods, a-arms, brakes, cylinder (if apart), rest of engine. I'm not so sure he's gonna let me tear into it on the spot, esp. cuz i don't know how long it would take to check it out. The bolts could be rounded off but if that's the case then it prob isn't worth it.