polaris predator 90 boggs bad need help

liftedf250

Jan 24, 2012
central ca
I have apolaris predator 90 with big bore kit, hetricks pipe, koso intake, keihin 28 mm carb. I hade this thing screaming. My boy rode it for 3 -4 days and it ran great. We parked it for 5-6 days and when we pulled it out it takes off great but boggs bad from half throttle +- to full throttle. Runs good if you get on throttle easy till half, if you just stab it it takes off great then boggs after 5 feet. I have checked the reeds, cleaned carb, cleaned jets, and have even dropped the main jet from a 125 to a 122 and then to a 118 and no change. I swapped the cdi with the one out of the other polaris and no change. I talked to hetricks and have done everything he said and still no change even with adding a ground wire as told to by hetricks. Need ideas im pulling my hair out and have a kid bugging to ride. Thanks in advance.

I'd check the cvt then... did hetrick do any work on the clutches and variator. Y ou can test it by taking the belt off and see if the bog is gone... maybe before that get the rear wheels off the ground and see if it bogs. Once u get it isolated I can help better.... we raced cvts for 3 years so i konw a bit about them

It has a new varriator, 5gr rollers, lightened clutch, red springs and new large spring (sorry having a brain fart on what its called) It ran great with this set up then all of a sudden after being parked it ran like crap. I did put it on a stand and run it does the same thing.

the large one is a torque spring, what color is it ?.... all new parts? Have u pulled the cover and looked just to make sure it all looks good... they like to eat belts, take a look at it.. also the stators are a week spot when u get to alot of rpms. You said u added a gound from the engine to a bare spot on the frame?

Is there a way to check the stator. Or could the coil be weak and if so how do I check it. Yes i added a ground wire from coil bolt to starter bolt as per Hetrick.

I bought the carb from Hetrick and that the jet that came with it from them. It was a 125 and Hetrick told me to lean it out a little smaller as they run rich after they break in. Thats why the 118 to 122 jet. Temps here are 50- 65 right now. It smokes a little when running but would rather it smoke a little than run lean with kids on it.

you can check the output with a tester, but the best way is put a known good one in. A stator will act the way u desribe but usually not the cdi. I usually run a ground from the motor to another bolt on the frame as well as the cdi. grounding these motors is very important so everybody ran extra grounds

Also we are not runing a battery on this and yes all clutch parts are brand new. Torque spring I think was 2000 rpm maybe red or yellow.It was all in a kit as a clutch upgrade kit. red springs in clutch for sure.

a 2000 would be gold or black. That setup will launch great but will heat up. When that spring gets hot it weakens. Do u have another spring u could try?

only other spring I have on hand is stock one. I make shure that he stabs the throttle to get it going then back off if need to to try and keep heat down. Like I said bike only has 3 hrs on it and thats only 20 - 30 minutes at a time. Also he is not racing it.

Well it could be a bunch of differant things, youre goin to have to eliminate them 1 by 1. I still think u need to determine if its engine or cvt. If it were me i would take the belt off and start it and see what happens