Planning my first hare scramble.

Wood Spliter

Dec 17, 2009
Culleoka, Tn
Just thought I would mention that I am planning my first hare scramble for October 3rd in White Plains Ky. I:I
I will be on my stock piped blaster. No plans to try and win anything just wanting to have a good time and get some much needed exercise.
Anyone else interest in racing at this event let me know. My parents live about 20mins away from the race so I plan to drive up and stay the night then race and come back home to the Nashville, Tn. area.

Harescrambles are a load of fun, just don't know if I would ever do another one on a blaster. Might be because I'm 6'2 and ride a stock width/length blaster with a lot of engine work or that Im used to racing the utility when I take a 4 wheeler to the races.
Basic thing you need to know is watch for the money class. They will come flying around that place like a raped ape being chased by a bat out of hell riding greased lightning. I do not exaggerate

My bike would be the opposite set up. Stock engine completely, banshee axle, flipped front wheels, works front shocks, 400ex rear, steering stabilizer, 12-42 gearing. Works great for tight stuff. Sucks for high speed open areas.

Not going to lie, the stock width helped me a lot more than it hurt. It makes you so narrow you don't go down into the ruts made by the utilities and the 450's. Also be sure you have a good belly and carrier skid. Nothing and I mean NOTHING ruins your race like punching a hole in your case or ripping out your countershaft. If you don't have a belly skid, I recommend giving GT Thunder a call and getting one of their poly skids. Comes as a blank, you drill your own holes and mount it how you want. Costs $25 As for the carrier skid, the one they have is for stock gearing (I know this because my blaster was their template) but is pretty beast. Looks a lot like their 09 YFZ/Raptor 250 skid and costs $70. I ran both skids at the Snowshoe GNCC and they held up to some really rough hits from the rocks. Skids are 120% worth the investment considering what they can save you from.

Do most Hare scrambles require that you wear riding boots. I was told that I would likely need to have a pair so I have borrowed some from a friend.
I just went for a ride with them and I absolutely hate it. I can't feel the shifter at all and I have to move my whole body forward inorder to shift gears rather than simply bend my ankle downward.
Any input?

Some series require them, I wear them because I don't want to break an ankle. to shift, I pivot my foot around the shifter. works good for me.

my series that I raced in required to have nerfs and teether and over the ankle boots not riding boots. but I prob will nvr race on blasty again. it was so hard and now it's setup for flat trackin. and all my since they couldn't compete with my blasty they all got 450s so I'm prob gonna sell my blaster and get a yfz. or trx450r. and I'm debating on racing one of those wen I get it

my series that I raced in required to have nerfs and teether and over the ankle boots not riding boots. but I prob will nvr race on blasty again. it was so hard and now it's setup for flat trackin. and all my since they couldn't compete with my blasty they all got 450s so I'm prob gonna sell my blaster and get a yfz. or trx450r. and I'm debating on racing one of those wen I get it

The YFZ's come out of the crate as the best XC quad. Yamaha has their stuff together when it comes to quads.
YFZs engine and stance make it amazing for the woods.

A hare scramble is sort of like a gncc race.
They pretty much tape it off a small path through the woods, and then say go for it :D
They also have a long straight away start, its normally loose mud or dirt but some courses have a pavement start then it goes into the woods/rest of the course.

people who run harescrambles are often called tree racers.
Hell my series doesn't even use tape. They put up arrows and say have at it! Its a fun experience, lots of fun. Usually start you by classes. Some races have mass holeshots with a holeshot prize. Its a load of fun is about all i can really say about it.

Reactions: scotj77
I have to say harescrambles are my favorite type of raceing two hours of strait raceing that kicks your but. Hear in michigan most of the harescrambles races run on the motocross track then into the woods section and back. You race for the best average time on the track and the dead engine starts are sweet everything is quiet the flag drops then braaaaapppp your off. I would recommend trying it out if you are into raceing good place to run a blaster and be competitive.

Raising the shift lever helped when I started wearing boots. Just make sure you get it tight so its not loose on the rod. In a +30 class you can be competitive on a blaster since its more about rider being able to hold up as it is machine.

Well I wound up running a different race but still a harescramble no less. It was very fun up until the time we started. From then on I learned what Hell must be like. We raced on extreme dust most of the time. I was unable to see the ground in front of me most of the time. From the dust we dropped into the woods to find that the event sponsor had dammed up a small creek enough to create several mud/water holes as deep as you gas tank. Then you went back out into the dust again. I love my blaster very much but for this particular track it was like bringing a knife to a gun fight. I plan to run some more of these events on the blaster but hopefully I will be able to move into a trx450r some time. Funny I never cared for a 450r until this race. I posted a pic in my sig. and one on my profile that I found online taken by someone else.
I got used to the boots by the way.

Well I wound up running a different race but still a harescramble no less. It was very fun up until the time we started. From then on I learned what Hell must be like. We raced on extreme dust most of the time. I was unable to see the ground in front of me most of the time. From the dust we dropped into the woods to find that the event sponsor had dammed up a small creek enough to create several mud/water holes as deep as you gas tank. Then you went back out into the dust again. I love my blaster very much but for this particular track it was like bringing a knife to a gun fight. I plan to run some more of these events on the blaster but hopefully I will be able to move into a trx450r some time. Funny I never cared for a 450r until this race. I posted a pic in my sig. and one on my profile that I found online taken by someone else.
I got used to the boots by the way.

see there hard as hell. but fun as hell. in youth class i owned the craptor 250s and 300ex's