piston ring size ?

purpleblaster

Feb 20, 2012
how do i find out what size piston rings i need it says 65.92 on top of the piston idk if thats the size or what . all i can find on like dennis kirk is 66 and higher no 65 . im almost positive its a namura piston. is there an easy wa to measure without special tool? and would a 66mm be fine ?

No you need a bore gauge to determine what size you need. if your rebuilding a top end it is all the more reason to get it checked out. by at least a machine shop. also when replacing rings on anything if it doesnt need to be bored out you must at least get the cylinder honed otherwise the new rings will not mate properly.
also stock piston is a 66mm so you wont find any 65's out there.

Stock piston is 65.965 ~ 66.0, bore is 66.0 ~ 66.02

Piston to cylinder clearance is 0.035~ 0.040

When installed the ring gap is 0.20 ~ 0.35

Last edited:
why exactly are you replacing the rings? you can get bore gauge sets from any auto tool distributer etc. good ones are very costly though. also not the easiest tool to use.

i have the cylinder off so i figured id replace them how do u know if there bad im not sure they dont really seem tight to the piston they move side to side quiet a bit .

i have the cylinder off so i figured id replace them how do u know if there bad im not sure they dont really seem tight to the piston they move side to side quiet a bit .
theyre not suppose to fit tight on the piston,only when theyre compressed in the cylinder. did you check clearance between piston and cylinder before you pulled it?

Carefully remove the rings from the piston, place one vertically into the bore, and then rotate the ring until it fits the bore like it would be if it was on a piston.

The gap between the ring ends should be within the specs of 0.20 to 0.35mm

well before i read this i just took off the piston and carefully slid it into the bore it seemed to maybe have a little wobble to it but it seems tighter then i thought if it has a little wobble could that cause the skirt to maybe slap when its running ?

The piston skirt clearance to bore specs are 0.035 to 0.040mm.

You need to get it measured, if you need a new piston, buy a forged one.

Get it bored to the next size up and fit a Weisco forged piston, most other forged brands are good though.

Dont even consider a cast piston!