Blaster to Yamaha MX175 compatibility

383sbc

Apr 28, 2017
Hey guys, first post here.

I have done a lot of searching online and can not seem to find the info I am looking for. I have a 1979 Yamaha MX175 that I am rebuilding as the piston got cooked last year. While searching for possible motor swap options I stumbled across some information on the web saying that the blaster motor is based off of the older DT/IT/MX 175 motors. Upon looking at pics the blaster motor looks almost identical to the MX175 motor I have in the bike (cylinder base looks identical). Doing more research it appears they also share the exact same bore at 66mm. The only real difference in motor design is that the blaster has a 7mm longer stroke, 57mm opposed to the 50mm stroke on my MX175 (hence the extra 25cc displacement of the blaster motor).

Now this got me really curious and thinking of compatibility between the two. My bottom end is fine on my MX175, I would be in it for a new jug, piston, rings, head etc. I have found on eBay you can get the Blaster jug, pistons, rings, head, carb, gaskets basically the entire top end parts for very cheap (under $150). Where as buying just an oversized piston and rings for my MX175 would cost even more than that.

So, with all this is mind, would it be possible to bolt a blaster jug and entire upper end piston etc onto the MX175 bottom end? I would be using the connecting rod in the MX175 as well. The biggest issue I see here given the connecting rods are the same too (I think they are) is that 7mm shorter stroke with the taller jug on there. If I were to shave 7mm off the Blaster jug my compression ratio would be back to where it should be however the port heights would be affected too. Has anybody ever considered doing this and is it possible? What could I expect out of it if I attempted? I am willing to give it a try if the jug will bolt up just to attempt it and I can get the whole kit on eBay for cheap. Just Google images an MX175 cylinder base, connecting rod, piston etc to get an idea of what I am talking about here as to the two being the same.

Thanks for any and all input here, would be really cool if I could make that work!

Thanks,
Keith

Last edited:
I take it nobody has attempted this or knows any information about it? If the jugs are the same which they appear to be then I think a blaster jug would bolt right up to my MX175 bottom end. Would be nice if somebody whose had experience with it could verify this before I go and buy the blaster top end and jug.

Below is an example of the motor I have in my bike (MX175). Does this not look almost identical to the blaster 200cc motor?

DSC00253.jpg

I have a 1980s IT200 cylinder who's bolt circle and port layout are completely different than the Blaster/DT200.

Very hard to compare from just an exterior picture. Purchase a base gasket from each to do a comparison.

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/more-info-on-the-chinese-blaster-cylinder.66076/

Might want to check out this thread ^^^ . They aren't worth their scrap value. IF the bolts and transfers came close to lining up, you have to still figure out the port heights. Might have to shave the top and bottom of the cyl. Then you still have to figure out if the rod length and piston pin height work.

Anything is possible, but is it worth the effort?