Pics of 400ex shock install

jeff1005

Oct 7, 2008
PA
I am planning on putting a 400ex rear shock on my quad today.I went to look at the pics in the diy but they aren't working.Does anyone have a pic or 2 of theirs?Also in the diy it says to drill out the bottom shock mount,would it be easier to just get bolts to fit both mounts?thanks

I am going to attempt the same thing today if it warms up above the 48 degrees thats projected for today. I'll try and take some pics, if you find some post em up!

I took a few pics of mine. For the top I pressed the bearing out, and found some neoprene that fit right inside, then drilled a hole in the center, and used 2 washers. The bottom is easy, just drill the shock out to the size of the blaster pin. I used the blaster bolts for both.

CIMG0021.jpg

CIMG0022.jpg

CIMG0023.jpg

CIMG0024.jpg

^^ hey do u think you can take a pic from right above, showing the whole airbox location? i needa see if there will be space for the pb aluminum airbox downtube

Ok I just got mine finished. I didnt take any pics though cause, well it was cold and I didnt mess around...lol I pushed the top bushing out and got a bronze one at ace hardware. I had to drill out the center with a 9/16 drill bit and shave down the outside of it just a tad to get a good fit. For the spacers I used a plastic bushing that I also purchased at ace hardware and drilled it out the same. I did have to grind the little lip off the front of the airbox but thats all I touched on the airbox, I'm not running a lid so no mod there. My boot going to the carb is already modified to fit my 34mm carb so again no mod there either.

For the bottom I drilled it out as well but I forgot the bit size. So all in all I'm happy.

I rode it around for a few minutes and could tell right away with the banshee front shocks and the 400ex rear that it was ALOT smoother just going over bumps. Didnt fell as "rattly" or jerky ...haha The rear feels alot like the yfz450 obviously not as much travel but similar in compression and stuff.

bronze bushing was 4.69
plastic bushing was .79
drill bit was 16.99

Not bad.

Cant wait to take it out on a decent ride.

i took pics of my 400ex rear shock setup, ill upload the pics in the morning. i didnt have to drill out anything, and im using the stock hardware..just had my friend machine some spacers at work.

^^ hey do u think you can take a pic from right above, showing the whole airbox location? i needa see if there will be space for the pb aluminum airbox downtube

I can take one tomorrow, I saw a pic of one somewhere and I believe it was real close but worked.

i took pics of my 400ex rear shock setup, ill upload the pics in the morning. i didnt have to drill out anything, and im using the stock hardware..just had my friend machine some spacers at work.

Thats wierd, I had to make the bottom maybe 2 drill sizes bigger thats all.

thanks for the tips.I ended up getting side tracked yesterday,I'm going to put it on sometime this week I'll put up some pics.

it will fit. there is a memeber on here that has the CFM box with a kfx400 rear shock.

but the cfm downtube is pushed more over to the side, the pb sorta goes on an angle. it will be close. im guna try, tj that helps a bit i think it might fit. i think the yfz wont work because it will hit the dyno port, its bent differently.

mine didnt need to be pressed out my sleve comes out easy i just cant drill it to get the bolt threw i wana know if theres anything else to replace the sleve so i can get the bigger bolt in