painting plastic

sweeney1991

Mar 7, 2013
I was wondering if there is a paint I can use on plastic. I have two sets of plastic green and grey. Im just trying to make it look a little better without spending 300 on new plastics

painted plastics look like crap after a few rides, dont matter how you do it, it will chip eventually and look like ghetto crap. on the brighter side krylon fusion for plastic works

I love how everybody says painted plastics look like crap. So the orange and black one in my sig looks like crap? We painted that bike almost a year ago and it has seen its share of riding. When we went to Ohio it flipped down a hill and landed up side down.

It's all in the prep work. Use a good primer with a flex agent,4 coats of krylon fusion, and a lot of clear coat. I think we put 7 coats of clear on that one. I painted my kx 2 years ago and it still looks good.

The orange and black looks sick. I also thought about plastidip. do you have any pics of what its looking like so far?

I love how everybody says painted plastics look like crap. So the orange and black one in my sig looks like crap? We painted that bike almost a year ago and it has seen its share of riding. When we went to Ohio it flipped down a hill and landed up side down.

It's all in the prep work. Use a good primer with a flex agent,4 coats of krylon fusion, and a lot of clear coat. I think we put 7 coats of clear on that one. I painted my kx 2 years ago and it still looks good.

not saying that your bike looks like crap, it looks good. i just think its alot of hassle and work when you could just buy new ones. plus if you ever sold it painted plastics seems to lower the value it just doesent sound good when someone says "it has painted plastics also"

I first cleaned my plastics real good . Then spent some quality time and some steel wool and cleaned them good. Then took a plastic filler and filled in all the holes and imperfections. I then sanded it all down until it was flat then used 180 grit. I then heated it up with a heat gun and sprayed it with a lexan white sealer before primer.then did 10 coats of primer heating before layers and letting cool in between layers. Then hit it with royal blue and then hit it with clear coat. It came out really nice and lasted 8 seasons of dirt and sand riding. Sorry don't have pics sold the bike and did not get pics when I had it.

yea i can see if you do it right it will hold but it just seems like to much of a hassle and having to worry about it chippiong or lowering value

It's all in the prep work. If the plastic looks like chit, it will look like shiney chit with new paint. Adhesion promoter, flex primer, wet sand, etc. It's no different than auto body.

Well the orange/black bike looked like chit before we painted it. Materials probably cost 60 bucks and it looks good now. People love that bike and on a few occasions have offered to buy it. People like myself can appreciate custom work and don't want a blaster that looks like any other ones. In this case I believe it raised the value. I think it lowers the price if it's not a good paint job, because the person buying it has to either purchase new plastics or repaint them. Just my .02 from experience.

Well the orange/black bike looked like chit before we painted it. Materials probably cost 60 bucks and it looks good now. People love that bike and on a few occasions have offered to buy it. People like myself can appreciate custom work and don't want a blaster that looks like any other ones. In this case I believe it raised the value. I think it lowers the price if it's not a good paint job, because the person buying it has to either purchase new plastics or repaint them. Just my .02 from experience.

@Wifesblaster, what materials did u get for $60 to prep and paint ur plastics and what were the steps?

I've seen the black and orange blaster wife'sblaster has in his sig. It's painted an looks as good if not better then the stock plastics I've seen. I did see it after its crash as well and it still looks perfectly fine. Use to not be a beliver in painting them. After seeing the end result I'm not opposed to the idea at all.

I painted mine and I don't care what anyone thinks of it. I would rather paint the plastics and use the money I saved over buying new one to buy parts that will improve its performance. What would you rather spend your money on ? New plastics or a good pair of used Works shocks ?

Here are some close ups of some painted plastics. For those of us that like to be different this works great. It does take a lot of time to do it right and make it durable. The paint still looks really good after a year and a half. This bike was rolled at least 3 times and the paint still looks good. The picture in my sig is after the wreck.

You could also paint them like I did mine. I first scuffed them up with some 180 grit sand paper. Then sprayed some adhesive promoter and then sprayed a couple coats of duplicolor bed liner in a can and it looks great and doesn't look like it'll be coming off anytime soon