Opinions on z400

Uuhnt

Feb 2, 2010
Iowa
Hey all. I'm thinking about buying a z400 for 900 dollars. It's a 2003, and the guy said it needs a new top end and it doesn't have an exhaust, other than that the quad looks phenomenal. How are z400s in terms of trail bikes and reliability? How fast are they compared to the 450s. I know when the 450s first came out that some of the Suzuki riders had to race their 400s against the 450s and they competed quite well.

They are much better than a 400ex. Same basic suspension, plus liquid cooling and more power! The Z is a great trail bike, plenty of torque and rev. If you are hoping to hang with the 450's though it probably won't happen without spending some money. My friends has a pipe jet kit, rev box, and no airbox lid and he still gets smoked by the honda 450.

For a 2003 though check the upper front shock mounts for any sign of cracking. The 2003's had the weakest frames.

their nice quads but i'd definently try to talk him down on the price a little because its gonna cost u a pretty penny to rebuild it and get a exhaust.

Reactions: yb200
Here are some pictures of it.

006.jpg

011.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

You really think it isn't worth 900 dollars? At first he said 1500 firm lol, I thought he was out of his mind.

that thing loks sexy. but it's gonna cost a decent amount to rebuild it, especially if it needs any head work

i had one and rode it once and traded it for my white blaster, the things i didnt like was the pogo stick suspension, the size of it , just to big to move around, the prices of the parts to fix or repair it, the noisey cam chains, it has alot of low end tourqe, but the top end average especially for a 400

I would never take an early raptor over a Z400... the rebuild will cost you but I think it is probably worth it. They are much bigger than a blaster but not hard to manhandle in anyway. That was one of my favorite bikes I have owned.

well my cousin had a z400 it was great quad and handle alright not like a 450 but it was alot better then a 400ex.........and my cousin has a used piston and cylinder for sale for cheap PM if your intereasted

these were made til what 05? my buddy got one if 05 iirc and it was a nice bike before the 450 came the following year... maybe he got an 04 in the begining of 05 but he paid like 4gs iirc from the local stealership... nice bike. I'm not sure of value, that really depends on wut u get the top end for and if u get it going cheap... if you do you could probably flip it.

has anyone raced the 400ex and ltz400? cause my buddy has a kfx400 which is made by suzuki... its the exact same bike as the suzuki but it has exhaust intake and its jetted and my other buddy has a 2007 400ex its stock and his 400ex will beat the kfx400 every time. another guy i know bought a 2006 ltz400 and rode it twice and the head needed replaced. so he got it bore out and then bought a ltz450 and the ltz400 with the 440 kit wont touch the 450. just thought id share some info

Z400's put a few fourwheeler lengths on a stock 400ex. I beat the living hell outta mine and never had a problem besides the upper shock mounts. They are great bikes.

Z400's put a few fourwheeler lengths on a stock 400ex. I beat the living hell outta mine and never had a problem besides the upper shock mounts. They are great bikes.

What made you decide to get rid of it?

i would not buy that for 900.the top end is gonna be some money to rebuild espically if the valves gotta be redone.i wouldnt pay no more than 5-600 for it.it looks like its also missing the headlight and im sure them arent cheap either.ur gonna have to atleast put 300 into it at the least

Headlights are not cheap... 150 something.

I got rid of my Z400 to get my King quad... I do not regret it at all, the King is an awesome machine. And now I have the Blaster and 250R to go fast on. The King is as fast as my blaster, coin toss really.

Well I wouldn't replace the headlight, I think the z400 headlights are pretty ugly, i would just put a screen back there or some carbon fiber. So if I buy it for 900 and put 300 in it... you guys don't think a z400 is worth 1200 dollars? Maybe I'll offer the guy 700. He's pretty tough to get a hold of.