Opinions on extended swingarm ?

darrencurry08

May 7, 2012
Northern Ireland
I was thinking about getting my swingarm cut up and extended but i was wondering if anyone that has a extended stock swing-arm would recommend it, or has anyone had any accidents using them ?, need to know if it would be a good idea for the use of light jumps etc) all info would be appreciated.:)

Depends on who does the welding. I would have a well experienced welder/fabricator do the work. If he or she knows their stuff and has a good reputation, I can see trouble free riding with no worries.

Keep in mind, many people think they can weld anything and have all these years of welding. Or some will see what they can do or will give it a shot, that is no good! But when it comes to the safety of yourself and your investment.....choose wisely.

Last edited:
i have one that came on the black bike, it doesn't get ridden nearly as much or as hard as i beat the white bike.
and yes, the swingarm has cracked in several places, all on the stock sheetmetal of the original swingarm, the 4" extension and surrounding area is fine.
it's the added stress on the original stamped sheetmetal that can't handle the abuse when extended. at least on mine

but then there is this clusterfawk.............
http://www.blasterforum.com/suspension-130/extended-swingarm-think-twice-50875/

not worth the risk IMO.

I have done it, and am very happy with the results. IMO, the stock blaster is way to short, and a 4" extension works nice to balance it out. I would think that the stress cracks are more to blame on the torsional forces while riding, and wheel spacers add to the problem too. Keep your eye on the swing arm for stress cracks and I think you would be fine.

Please don't try and weld it yourself, unless you are a VERY experienced welder. A consistent weld with good penetration is essential, and you will have warping issues to deal with too, which should be extremely little for the swing arm to work properly (alignment and to fit the axle/bearing carrier)

I also suggest not cutting the swing arm in half, but cut the rear section, just before the carrier. You will need a section of 100 x 6mm steel plate to join in. (NOT 5mm!!!)
There are a few pics on the site on how to do it, I think I did post mine somewhere aswel.

Cheaper to do it right the first time and buy aftermarket then try and extend that stock junk tubing. Stock swingarms will and have cracked many of times and always in the same places. Even if you extend the ears the rest of it will eventually crack if ridden hard enough.

honestly.... i think i would bust a stock extended in like a week.... i beat the chit out my blaster..... surprised i haven't really wrecked it yet (fingers crossed)

are the $250 swingers on ebay any good?

They have had there issues in the past and have updated there design to an HD version.They work well and will hold up just fine. However if you plan to race mx or racing off road in general I would think about getting something nicer such as lsr,t-rock,fireball,etc

I had a welder make mine extended 3 Had extra bracing added. I barely ride my bike and when I do I ride like a grampa. I just saw a crack in mine. Do it right the first time and buy an aftermarket one