Yz 490 swap questions

Cat man

May 19, 2022
So, I likely wont do this swap for a couple of years, but I was wondering a few things. Is it possible to run nerf bars with this swap? I already have some nice XFR nerfs that I would like to use, and not being able to use them could be a deal breaker for me. Which extended swing arm should I use? Can I still get a KOR swinger? What carb size and filter should I use? I am in central Oregon if that helps. Should I run gussets and where? Rubber mounts or solid? Is there anyone that could make me a pipe? I could make one but it just would not be pretty. Anything else I should know for this swap? Thanks.

Last edited:
Gussets would be a MUST. Totally isolating it would be nearly impossible, I wouldn’t bother.
I don’t recall the one member that had one, you’ll have to search a bit.
As far as the pipe there are several Banshee “tuners” in Oregon that do pipes, be prepared to spend a boatload of ByeDone Bucks for it .
Also any build with a yz250 might give you ideas.

Unless you have just a motor sitting, I’d sell the complete bike and look for a more modern engine. A KTM 300 would be my pick, especially the newer ones with EFI ❤️

Stock carb would be the best bet

Reactions: CycleTech