Oil leaking from shifter shaft....

ggaspo13

Jan 20, 2013
S. Jersey
So it's a veryyyyy slow drip from the shifter shaft. (about a quarter size puddle on plastic lid I put down this morning, left it 8 hrs ago) I researched and found that there's a seal in there but was wondering how to replace it. Can I get to it from the outside ? Anyone replace this before?

Last edited:
Reactions: WRE_Blaster
Sounds like the gasket behind the sprocket is leaking. Once you take off the chain and sprocket then you can remove that gasket (from the outside).

It's definitely coming from the shift shaft....I was thinking it was the shaft seal #6 in the pics

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-02-01 at 4.53.20 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-02-01 at 4.53.20 PM.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 559
  • Screen shot 2013-02-01 at 4.56.13 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-02-01 at 4.56.13 PM.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 416
yea u can do it from the outside take the shifter off and just try and screw a screw into the seal, and use vice grips to yank on the screw should pull the seal right out, or you can use a small pick but be careful not to gouge where the seal rests on the case, once it is out put grease on the inside and a bit on the outside of the seal to help it slide inh and just evenly tap the seal in

Remove shifter, remove stator cover. Determine wether shift shaft or output shaft seal is leaking. Clean area completely, no dirt. If sprocket shaft remove sprocket. Did I mention to clean area? OK, now take one or two drywall screws and run them into the metal part of seal and pull it out with pliers. Clean shaft wit rag or paper towel. Wrap shaft with masking tape to prevent damage to new seal. Pack inside of seal with grease. Put a littl bit of grease on shaft where you stoped with tape. If sprocket seal use socket or pipe to TAP IT LIGHTLY into place making sure you are going evenly. Set it flush with case, don't overdrive it. Same if shifter , if you don't have pipe to drive it, use a socket extension and work yor way around seal LIGHTLY tapping so it goes in squarely, again setting it flush with case.

The grammer police can shoot me later :D

Ok, so can I do this without draining the oil or will I have quite a mess on my hands (no pun intended) Thanks for the help guys ! I am ordering the parts tonight.