webmonstro

Feb 14, 2009
Portugal
Ok
So i went on a ride last sunday and after a long uphill at WOT, i
stopped at the top to take some pics and noticed some smoke from the pipe
looked closer and found som oil dripping from the vent hose that connects to
the transmisson
i continued ridding and didn't feel any problem but just asking has this happend to anybody?
What could do this ? bad crank seal ?
(tihs is the hill: )
423426.jpg

424558.jpg

this is where i stopped to take som pics:
PTDC0015.jpg

PTDC0016.jpg

PTDC0017.jpg

Thanks

Nuno

Reactions: BlastieSa
Prolly got a little hotter than usual, and oil wanting to get out due to expansion, and with the different attitude the gears may have been picking up more oil than on the level and splashing it toward rhe breather outlet.

Or simply too much oil in there, and with over temp could have wanted to get out.

As a precaution it may pay to do a leak down test to check the crank seals.

Nuno, thats one hell of a hill. Some beautiful country and awesome trail to ride.

Yeah !
felt great to just go Full throttle all the way up
In the 1st foto you can see the whole trail
You take a beating in the arms from the rocks and your body tells you to stop , but you just keeep on as you see the summit ever so close and yet more and more steeper !
It was the best part of a 54 km organized ride (about 15 bikes and quads but mostly jipes)
Nuno

Prolly got a little hotter than usual, and oil wanting to get out due to expansion, and with the different attitude the gears may have been picking up more oil than on the level and splashing it toward rhe breather outlet.

Or simply too much oil in there, and with over temp could have wanted to get out.

As a precaution it may pay to do a leak down test to check the crank seals.

Perfect analogy! Got my vote! I'd drain what ever is left and start fresh with 650ML of course after a leak test!

well put Blaaster. Nuno, id suggest you do a leak test. You always seem to know what you are talking about so give it a test. If it passes, I wouldnt worry about it. But if not, id get in there looking at crank seals

well put Blaaster. Nuno, id suggest you do a leak test. You always seem to know what you are talking about so give it a test. If it passes, I wouldnt worry about it. But if not, id get in there looking at crank seals

Yeah seem to be the only way to be sure , just ansking if anybody
seen it happen to them, as the vent goes all the way up behind the hood
and has to travel a lot so seemed strange that it would rise that high
but i guess a suddin rise in pressue from a leaky seal would do push it up
also the vent hose is kind of small diameter

Thanks
Nuno

It sometimes Happens in 4strokes when the rings are bad. Everything feels fine but combustion presure is passing the rings building up in your crank, causing the oil to pressurize and rise out crank vent hose. Could be as simple as bad Ringsbuddy. But never hurt to explore all options

It sometimes Happens in 4strokes when the rings are bad. Everything feels fine but combustion presure is passing the rings building up in your crank, causing the oil to pressurize and rise out crank vent hose. Could be as simple as bad Ringsbuddy. But never hurt to explore all options

Well not in a 2 stroke , the crankcase is seperated from the gearbox so the only way that compression would get in the g-box would be passing by the seals
Nuno

I vote it just got hot had a banshee do that once after shooting the moutain. but leak down test is allways good . anyone use atf in the case. I do and never had any problems I change it every ride we go to the dunes. and a magnet drain plug

cool I had a builder tell me to start useing that years ago saves alot of money . had a friend tell one time he used slick 50 he couldnt figure out why his clutch was slipping lol

Had it happen a few weeks ago, the lad was racing MX on a stinking hot day, he was pulled out of the field for shedding clouds of white smoke.

Oil was spitting out of the breather and vaporising on the DMC pipe, checked the seals and they were fine. Had the correct amount of oil in it too.,

Have you done a leak test yet Nuno, I am interested to find out if it was a bad seal or just over temp/attitude?

Not yet
This happend about half way trought the ride.
have not used the bike since , but saturday i'll check and chang the trans oil
and clean the bike

I have 2 more organized rides that i don't want to miss on the 1st and 22nd of April, so until then i don't want to get in to the engine

I'm planning on doing some home made port job and maybe modding the head
so i'll replace the crank seals at that time just to be sure

Nuno

Play it safe Nuno and do a leak test, just for peace of mind.

You want to finish those 2 rides with a healthy bike.