noob and i need help

Bigred93

Jan 2, 2014
Nj
so i bought a blaster, i know next to nothing of blasters or 2 strokes to be honest. I just rebuilt the top end and its running....but like sh*t. My friend says its running rich. took it on a trail ride and every now and then it seemed to want to die. Cant even tell u the year of it except its somewhere between a 95-99. Any idea why it would be running like sh*t? or what i should be looking for? im sorry if this is posted in the wrong section but im new to the forum.

run down thru as many of these as you can and let us know what you find.

http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/troubleshooting-maintenance-guide-30347/

also list any and all mods done....... pipe, filter, airbox lid on/off, what carb, current jetting, ect.

fresh fuel/oil ?
mixing or still using the stock injection ?
reeds good ?
new spark plug ?
good strong spark ?
leakdown tested ?
compression test psi ?

ported and polished heads, fmf fat boy gold exhaust, and that's literally all i know. its jury rigged for sure. plastics are all cut up and stuff, i got it for 500 bucks so im sure u can imagine what condition it is in. i will run all those test tommorw tho and let you know. im mixing the gas 32:1, and it has a new spark plug on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
running 80w gear saver oil in it to. sorry im really not good when it comes to small motors. i know very very little about this motor and really anything with a carb. so im sorry in advance.

thats my hope, i would love to build this thing up, all my friends have 400ex or scrambler 500s lol

In addition to all things mentioned, when you clean carb, set float level, record jet sizes, clean fuel petcock, maybe evem tank (if dirty). I prefer soaking carbs in Berrymans carb dip. However you do it, make sure air will blow through all passages.
air filter clean?

Running like $hit? Diarrhea or rabbit raisens? :eek: :D
Try to describe better. What throttle posistion, rpm, load? Is it consistant or intermitant, or totally random?

FYI
The cylinder is ported, the head only gets milled or rechambered. Size of engine (big/small) makes little difference.

DO NOT do anything to lean it out until it is determined that it is a rich condition really is the problem.

do not run it again until you at least confirm what main jet is in it,
the mods you listed require at least a 270/290/300 main jet
then plug chops to determine the correct one.

i cant seem to get the jet out, but i do have a question which im sure is retareded but. When i bought the quad the guy told me it had been ported and polished heads.....i had to do a top end rebuild on it, and just bought a stock piston and cylinder....so is it still ported and polished?

besides the motor running like crap and bogging down, it has no plastics, head lights completly screwed up, and has all the wires exposed or in a rats nest. I just found a roller on CL, il post the link. would it be worth it to put my motor and tires on this roller, cuz i looked up plastics and they alone are 400.

01 Yamaha blaster

i cant seem to get the jet out, but i do have a question which im sure is retareded but. When i bought the quad the guy told me it had been ported and polished heads.....i had to do a top end rebuild on it, and just bought a stock piston and cylinder....so is it still ported and polished?

IF, the original cylinder was ported ? and you replaced it with another cylinder and piston ?
the porting is now sitting on your shelf, not on the blaster.

can you compare the intake and exhaust ports of the 2 cylinders ?
or post pics of the intake/exhaust ports of that original (ported ?) cylinder and we'll help you determine if it was indeed ported.

besides the motor running like crap and bogging down, it has no plastics, head lights completly screwed up, and has all the wires exposed or in a rats nest. I just found a roller on CL, il post the link. would it be worth it to put my motor and tires on this roller, cuz i looked up plastics and they alone are 400.

01 Yamaha blaster

that roller looks pretty complete, minus engine and tires.
try to jew him down to $250 ?
either way, you'll prolly be into that much fixing the mess you have now ?
i'd do it

That does't look Like a bad roller. It looks like a good place to start over on. Just take some wheels and lugnuts with you to make it easier too get on a trailer or truck bed. Take the $380 with you, but Try and get him to like $250-$275. I've gotten 2 Blasters with motors and wheels/tires on them for Under $350.

Keep your old one for the occassional spare part, It's nice to have them on hand when you need them.

and i know for a fact that they were ported, my dads friend looked at it and told me so. But i just wanted to clarify that its not anymore. SO then the quad is stock except the FMF exhaust, so what should my jets be? BTW you guys are awsome, this is the best forum iv ever used, so thank you.

would my engine from 98 fit on that roller tho?
SO then the quad is stock except the FMF exhaust, so what should my jets be?
It will work. Just match the chains and the sprockets. Use all of them from your blaster you have now, or the ones from the roller. Don't Mix and match them. Or Just get some Nice new ones:)

Your Jetting will need attention also....What carb do you have and what jets are in it? What other mods are you going to be running when your complete? Then we can get you a close Number for a Jet.

and i know for a fact that they were ported, my dads friend looked at it and told me so. But i just wanted to clarify that its not anymore. SO then the quad is stock except the FMF exhaust, so what should my jets be? BTW you guys are awsome, this is the best forum iv ever used, so thank you.

270-290 for FMF exhausts, start large and plug chop down.
i dislike giving jetting ranges in the winter time..........
add 1 size for each 10-15 degrees below 50-ish degrees.
like, if summer riding temps of 60-80 require a 290, (plug chop confirmed)
it may require a 310/320 for temps down into the 30's.

would my engine from 98 fit on that roller tho?

all blaster engines will fit all years, they and the mounts are identical 88-06
the only frame differeneces were the 88/89's are missing the heelgaurd mount on the frame, and the 03-06's have mounts for the hydro brakes and extra's for the different hood/headlight.