No spark

Prime

Jul 11, 2011
Batavia, NY
Hey guys, took the blaster out today and since we couldn't see any spark trying to kick it, we decided to pull it around and start it that way. Now, the first few attempts were just moving the piston. Then, I decided to turn the light on just to see if it would light up, and it did. But still no spark. So, I put another coil on it, and tried again. That time around it seemed to spark a little. The exhaust did smoke just a little, but not for long. The light was very bright though. Is it a possibility that someone tried the advance timing mod and screwed it up? If so, how can I tell?

He's telling you to start ohming ALL your electrical :eek:. Also check ALL connections/grounds, add a dab of dielectric grease while you have it apart. I:I Might as well put new plug in cause you got that one wet. X(

Spark can be hard to see properly, depending on the lighting and how good the plug is grounded to the part youre trying to check spark against.

So what I prefer to do is to see how many (if any) volts youre getting to the orange wire of the coil. Use the DMM to determine how many volts the coil gets on a kick. Ground it to the coil where the bolts hold it to the frame, and have someone kick it. You should have between ~7 to 12 volts on a kick. If you dont have that much, Id blame your stator.

Your stator has 4 wires coming off it. 2 are live power, one for the headlight, one for the CDI. You can reverse the 2 for the headlight and CDI and see if it will run that way. Its kind of a half assed way to make it work, but it will at least see if you have an issue with one of your coils on the stator.

Try both those and report back.

I replaced the stator, sorry I haven't reported back I didn't notice people replying to it! :p Anyway, looks like the one of the coils was burned up. When I installed the new stator, it fired on the first kick. Now I'm back to the other problem....it won't rev...It seems like it is only allowing me to go to about 4000-5000 rpms through the first few gears. I am going to look at jetting today and see if maybe the machine is running extremely rich or extremely lean.

Actually, It's all back to stock now. I said screw it let's put it back to stock and go from there. So right now it's got a 230 main in it. I just found out the needle clip was one above stock, so I put it back to the middle. I was wondering if maybe my reeds aren't opening up properly? I am using stock reeds now.

Actually, It's all back to stock now. I said screw it let's put it back to stock and go from there. So right now it's got a 230 main in it. I just found out the needle clip was one above stock, so I put it back to the middle. I was wondering if maybe my reeds aren't opening up properly? I am using stock reeds now.

No reeds are pretty much idiot proof. Unless you or someone bent them all the way back to the reed stop with a bow in the middle.

I put my other carb on, found out the needle clip was one notch above stock so I moved it back to stock position, put some rtv on the reed gasket, cleaned the air filter, changed the plug, and put fresh gas in. It purrs like a kitten now. And thank god that annoying "rev limiter" is gone lol.

I forgot to say that last night I finally got a flywheel puller to check the stator, which was fried. I replaced that and it fired right up after installing.