No Spark

Elrodeotaco

Feb 27, 2010
Ok guys here it goes. Im new to the forum but not to atv's or small engines. I am currently putting together a blaster for my wife. I literally got the thing in boxes full of pieces. I currently have the whole chassis and engine together and started to wire it yesterday. I have everything hooked up, the ICU, voltage regulator, CDI unit, headlight, coil and the magneto. the only things that are not hooked up are the Tail light, oil injection light and sensor(i eliminated the oil inj setup), Tors unit(no longer on the bike) so the throttle and carb switch are not hooked up. My problem is that I still have no spark. I have double, triple checked everything and I cannot seem to figure out why there is no spark. Im wondering if the coil and or the stator wires are malfunctioning. I am currently going off the specs from the service manual that I got off of the forum. Does anyone have the specs for testing the coil for ohms? or maybe even a better wiring diagram or some pictures of wiring the bike. I would really appreciate it. Any advice would help. I will get pictures up as soon as I can. Thanks everyone

I have seen a couple blasters w/ no spark caused by sheared flywheel key and another with a bad coil. Pull the cover and turn it.

Ok, I have spark when I disconnect the black/white wire from the cdi unit. And yes, the stator wire, magneto, coil, plug wire, and all other electrical components are good. I only have spark when that wire is disconnected. I cannot get any at all when put back together and trying to run from the main switch and kill switch. Something goofy. Im not sure if someone else hacked up the harness or not. But im thinking about getting another one from ebay or craigslist.
Thanks guys

Ok, I have spark when I disconnect the black/white wire from the cdi unit. And yes, the stator wire, magneto, coil, plug wire, and all other electrical components are good. I only have spark when that wire is disconnected. I cannot get any at all when put back together and trying to run from the main switch and kill switch. Something goofy. Im not sure if someone else hacked up the harness or not. But im thinking about getting another one from ebay or craigslist.
Thanks guys

sounds like a key/ kill switch wiring issue.. id try running a toggle in line with that wire you dis conect so the toggle will complete the circuit on it to shut the bike off.. or maybe its grounding out

Thanks guys

I was just called into the local shop to check out a no spark issue with a blaster and it was two things. One, the woodruff key was sheared off so the flywheel was not spinning and two, the parking break sensor was hooked up. If I remember right it was a black wire that I had to un-plug to get it to spark. A lot of people disconnect this feature for this very reason. It has been a while since I really got into the wiring on a blaster since I cut everything out on mine besides the wires to install a YZ style kill switch and then the wires from the stator to the coil, there are only 4 wires and you CAN NOT mix them up as yamaha make it fool proof for hooking them up.

Hope this helps. Pictures would be great!