No power, leaking oil, failed leakdown test bad

neo_f150

Jun 17, 2012
Ravenna, Ohio
My blaster had no power above second gear. Noticed oil on the front of the engine. Did a leakdown test and only got up to 4 psi and I hear pssssshhhh. Now it won't move past zero. So I assume the crank seals are shot. My dad thinks it needs new rings too. Its an 03 so that is a long time for a small engine. Any advice?

FIRST, was your exhaust completely sealed?

Take off stator cover, clutch cover, stator, clutch and replace the seals.

when done leak test again.

If still bad, remove jug and replace base and head gasket

You should pump it up to 8 psi and spray it with soapy water. It will bubble up where it is leaking and may even be leaking in multiple spots. Check everywhere even the crank case vent,cylinder base,head,cases etc Try to determine where it is leaking first. A compression test would be a bit of help also. Although it does sound like time for a rebuild.

^^^^ like said above.. Did you do a thorough leak test? find where it is leaking than do a comp test.. check reeds also if it has been that long..

Is this the first rebuild? are you first owner or has this been done previously? All info you can include helps us help you out.. No matter how minor the details.....

If it has been running for a while sucking air and puffing white smoke the chances are that you will need a top end rebuild.

Leak test, compression test before you pull It apart.

Pull the pipe off and look up the exhaust port for signs of piston damage.

When I did the leakdown test the piston was up above the exhaust port and I didn't realize it. I think I blew the crank seals when I heard a pop doing the leakdown test.

If you pressurised the spark plug hole, it could have been the reeds breaking!

7 psi to the carby inlet boot, no more.

I guess after I put the top end back on I could do another test. I need to check the reeds too. I just watched a video on how to check them.