Nitro RC cars

89custom

May 27, 2008
GTA, Ontario
So some of you read my other thread about building my own nitro rc car. i hadn't even got a good look at the inner workings of one and damn am i glad i didnt just jump into it. SO i went to a hobbie store near me and quickly found what i needed.

bought myself a used HPI Nitro RS4 (3 type SS?) 4WD. Pretty damn sick. especially since its already built, broken in, tuned and has a collection of replacement parts, tools, so many nuts/bolts, 2 bodys(sick yellow porsche 911 and a kinda crappy chevy truck one).

So sweet deal for $275 with a bottle of nitro.

So im most likely going to be taking it apart and making my own frame. since its already all wheel drive, it would be easy to go for a nice rally setup. new frame, extended a-arms, longer shocks and a new plastic body(want a oldschool imprezza one).

Would be awsome if any Nitro rc guys new any tips, tricks, hints and WARNINGS to tell me. I really jumped into it and i shouldnt have even drove it but i did :D . oh well, all is well. already cleaned my k&n, replaced a broken upper shock tower and unbent the front bumper. as well as cleaned it quite a bit. Lol so i did quite a number on it the first few hours of ownership but its fine. What i need to know is any routine stuff thats important like oiling and such. the guy had a bunch of oil things and this oil pen so im asuming its pretty damn important. I havent got to reading all of the manuals yet but its always best to hear it from someone with experience.

Thanks.

p.s. ill get ya some vids soon. its pretty sick. but paulies, yours is crazy i love it, it would be good to talk to you about it.

too late now lol.

Heres 2 stupid questions...

If i run this beast and it just gets totaly covered in fine dirt, is this bad? Like should i NOT run it in dirt? it is mostly a pavement car but i was ripping it in the dirt a bit lol. i just see everyone elses cars and there so clean, plus this thing was clean to start off.

Water... Can i use water to clean it or is that a no no? i used my compressor to get alot of dust/dirt off but its still not really really clean.

Thanks.

umm idk depends on how much maitnance u wanna do if its a street car or off road lol and if u take the body off pull the electrical then water other wise with mine i used a damp rag thing and mine was an off road one soo yea and i say run in dirt dirt is fun but they dont like to be that dirty and some others might scream at me for tellin u that but idk cuz i like to build destroy fixit lol

Ok so when i bought it had full battery so now its dead. Problem is, buddy put on some different stuff and this battery pack isnt stock and i cant find charging info anywhere int he manual anyway. i cant figure out how to charge this sh*t. im asuming i can use the charger in the radio controler kit, its got 2 leads, 1 looks like its for the radio itself then another is a 4 pin connector same as some of the ones on the car. i also have this switch with 1 3 pin input(output?) with only a red and brown wire then it goes to a switch then another 2 sets of red/brown wires but 1 female 3 pin and 1 male 3 pin connector. the battery pack has just a 2 pin connecotor with 2 wires.

The charger has a 3 pin with 3 wires(brown, red, orange) so im asuming i cant just put the 2 pin in the 3 pin female. Theres other connectors in the car's system but i have NO idea which one to use.

no instructions for the different battery pack so i cant figure it out.

halp!

Do not use water you will kill your electronics. install a kill safe so if you get interference it will not run from you and hit something at full throttle. what size is the motor .15, .18 .21? what % fuel are you using? really if you wanted to run in dirt you should of bought an off road rc the cars are not built for running in the dirt. i would water and dust proof your electronics if you are going to continue to run off road.

nitro rc cars are made for the dirt, however they do require lots of maitenence. Also i would put a foam filter on not a k&n type as they are very delicate and i tiny spec of dirt can kill the engine (i'm not getting into the arguement about foam vs k&n filters lol)

also be aware that if u buy new fuel u may have to re-tune the engine as it can run like crap. you can also use a baloon to cover your electronics and make them a bit water proof

Ok so a bit of water/dust proofing is in store, that cant be to bad, just alot of tape lol.

but are they really that sensative to dust getting in the engine? like say the filter came off(its not really secured well) and it sucked in some dust, would it just be f*cked?

And my main priority right now is figureing out how to charge the damn thing.

thanks

Ok so ill get me a foam filter, re-tune the engine for this fuel i can get and dust/water proof everything.

still working on how to charge the battery but i just went for it. put the 2 pin(red/black) male connector into the 3 pin (red, brown, orange) female connector and the light on the charger is on. im hopping it goes out when finished, if not, how long is the average time to charge a nitro battery pack? wouldnt be the same as a electric rc car because its only for the servos and sh*t right?

well do u have a speed charger if so 15 to 30 min if not itll be the same as electric UNLESS u got a smaller cell count battery it could be from 2 to 6 hours thats why i recomend that speed charger lol but usually the charge on electric and nitro rcs are the same charge time but the nitros last longer because less juice is gettin sucked out

ite so i guess i didnt charge the battery enough. it was about 2 hours, lasted me only 2 tanks which seems like its not its full charge but it did read max. thats ok im charging it over night, ill see what happens. but a funny thing i noticed, the guy installed this failsafe system and when the radio controler is turned off it automatically engages the brake on the car, but when the battery drops to too low to run it, it cuts off the controler system but brings the f*cking throttle to half lol. i have to re-callibrate that before i run it out of power and it gets stuck on half throttle(which is so f*cking fast)

this thing just rips, its got 2 gears, i havent even been able to wind out 2nd gear, i need a more open, safer area.

back "driver side" wheel hub is loose, i think its just the bearing carrier, i have a ton of extra ones so ima pop out the old one and switcher up.

this things pretty ghetto but pretty damn durable lol. something happened today where it go stuck turning right at full tilt, hit this ramp thing and flew into a brick wall. didnt do sh*t to it lol.

Only thing im dissapointed with is it doesnt full on rip the tires loose on pavement. it takes a little more than id like to get up to speed. maybe it still needs a bit more tunning but id love for it to rip all 4 wheels loose and just BRAAAAAAAP.

vids tomorow.

i have a rs4 racer 2 an it has taken some hits i jumped the curb an rolled it over someones car an it started right back up an the battery thing might be normal your useing the equivelent (sp?) of 4 or 5 double a's to run the 2 servos an the reciever 2 tanks does seem a little short but not by too much you can always get a battery pack that has a higher mah to make it last longer

^ thats sh*ty. i let 3 people try it today lol. sketchy but 2 were just as good as me(since its my first intence rc car) and my one bud was sh*ty and hes like yo i dont trust myself take this sh*t lol.

but yeah the battery pack isnt stock, its some rechargable pack(all into one) and i charged it for 2 hours (about) and then it only lasted the 2 tanks which has got to be to short. so hopefully over night is a good charge for it. hopefully it doesnt f*ck it up either, it would be awsome if it stopped charging when it was done.