Newb 94 blaster resurrection

Thanks man but I'll try to make due with what I got. This thing has already got me past broke for the moment. I know a few good machinist but they're not in the business anymore so I gotta look around

Bad day for my wallet and my hopes of riding soon. I decided to do Ken's redneck cylinder check with the feeler gauge and turns out my local shop is full of idiots. My GF took it down with the page out of the manual with the specs and they told her it was 66mm and just needed to be honed. Wrong!! I got a digital caliper yesterday and my piston is measuring 66.3mm and I can fit a .005 feeler between the piston and cylinder. So looks like I'm goin way deeper than I had hoped. This might take awhile.

yeah, a rebuild can kill the wallet, savings, and all hopes of riding anytime soon X( after a month of rebuilding my engine and finding new things broken, looks like I might get her running this week I:I but then again its not over till that pipe screams :p

Good luck bro

Well looks like I'll be waiting til after xmas for my engine rebuild. I got 3 kids and work in the winter can be very slow around here so I gotta sit on my money for awhile. But I still gotta plenty to do on the blaster so I'll keep pluggin on. Noticed this today
255tn5v.jpg
I'm gonna assume there isn't supposed to be that slight bend at the top?

no if its not a crack in it you might be able no bend it back out straight or you might can find one on craigslist i just got one for mine it was bent is the same spot

Haven't made much progress this week. Been gettin little parts cleaned up and ready for paint. I didn't realize how much time is gonna go into painting everything! It will be worth it tho. Got my new steering stem and a few other nice parts. Gonna start looking at chains and sprockets next. I'm thinking 14/40. I'm gonna be riding trails mostly but I've already got 18" tires for the back so I don't want to pop wheelies trying to get over rocks or roots. What do you guys think?

Well I'm slowly but surely making progress. I haven't had much time and nothing worth taking pictures of yet. I've gotten all my plastic cracks fixed with some epoxy and quite a few hours into sanding them because they were really scratched up, almost ready for paint. I did get my hubs, pegs, caliper, and a few other things primered, but haven't had time to do anything else yet. I did get this done ...
11aj01s.jpg
so its not all over my shop anymore. and got this done to lol...
xf0w1.jpg
6 gallons of homemade strawberry wine to keep me warm when I got some time to go work on this thing lol.

Made some progress this weekend not as much as I'd hoped but I'm pretty un organized. Just been painting each piece as I clean it and working on the frame inbetween.
vwtjt3.jpg
Almost clean, lots of scratches and rust so its taking awhile
2q1rn6w.jpg
Almost got these ready for paint
2ypaplf.jpg
these r done
zu3x2c.jpg
still gotta paint the letters and ring black on this
okzgrb.jpg
Not exactly the green I wanted but I wanted krylon on the plastic. I think its gonna look good when its done. Frame is gonna be black.

I am curious...I have heard of people using aluminum foil to "sand" rust off of chrome, but what exactly were you doing with your frame wrapped in foil? Whatever it was, it looks great.

Well looks like I'll be waiting til after xmas for my engine rebuild. I got 3 kids and work in the winter can be very slow around here so I gotta sit on my money for awhile. But I still gotta plenty to do on the blaster so I'll keep pluggin on. Noticed this today
255tn5v.jpg
I'm gonna assume there isn't supposed to be that slight bend at the top?
mines bent like that too

I am curious...I have heard of people using aluminum foil to "sand" rust off of chrome, but what exactly were you doing with your frame wrapped in foil? Whatever it was, it looks great.

Old trick is to wrap the part after application of paint stripper.

The solvents cannot get out into the atmosphere so they bite deep into the paint and do a fantastic job of stripping.

Did I get it correct?

Yep, learned that from you blaaster, reading other threads on here. It did help but I still couldn't get all the paint off, but the wire brush is taking care of that. I put all the smaller pieces in a small metal trash can and let them sit awhile. Thx guys I will be very proud when its done, its just taking more work than I figured. Hopefully if the temps are good I'll get the frame and everything else painted this weekend just gotta get some shop time this week to finish prepping.

Reactions: Awk08
nice work so far !
have some reps for sharing, reading old threads and applying what you learned

Well I got most everything painted last Sunday. Looks like I'm gonna need to redo the clear :( It ended up kinda milky like I've heard a few people say on here. I think it had to be a moisture issue. I did all the painting when it was raining out because it was the only time that I was gonna have over night temps above 50 and its impossible to heat my shop with 20' ceiling and no insulation. Its funny cause like my axle was sitting horizontal on a bucket, it looked perfect til I spun it and the other side just has the white dusty look.
igvy12.jpg

vh4w08.jpg

I don't know if you can see the difference there or not.
2lnjyg4.jpg

2efqhzm.jpg

that ones the worst
t98vtc.jpg

wheels came out good. I think its just kinda where the moisture settled on upward facing open surfaces maybe
2rc3kg3.jpg

2cgo5ee.jpg

you cant really see it on the green
So if I get some better weather hopefully I can just hit it with a scotch brite pad and take that white away. I may talk to my father in law and see if I can turn his spare bedroom into a paint booth

same thing happened to me, its from to much moisture in the air and it being to cold, the paint kind of crystalizes, when that happened to me i took a torch to it and held it a foot away and it took the white out

same thing happened to me, its from to much moisture in the air and it being to cold, the paint kind of crystalizes, when that happened to me i took a torch to it and held it a foot away and it took the white out

I was wondering if heating it up would help. I got a reddy heater over there I may try n see if it will do the same.

btw is that all spray paint, it looks good i like the combo

Yeah it is. I wanted more like a Kawasaki green but I wanted Krylon on the plastics and that's as close as I could get. Still gotta get the plastics done. I got the black done just gotta tape em and do the green. I think its gonna look good. I haven't seen plastics done the way I'm doin em. I wanted something different, seems like a lot of people do the green frame n black plastics.