New to Forum. Just bought a Blaster!

wwholden

Nov 17, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
Hello everyone I just bought me a Blaster and thought Id join a forum. I'm also a member over at the raptor forum too. I used to have a Blaster a while back and loved it so I was in the market for one again. I know my way around in the engine. I've done a couple of rebuilds with these engines. However I never made any modifications. Since I have owned my raptor I have gotten mod fever.:) Thats why I wanted to join a Blaster forum so that I could learn some mods.

Anyway I bought my Blaster last weekend from a add on craigslist. The guy was asking $800 and I talked him down to $400. So id say I got a decent deal. Its a 89 thats in great shape. Plastics all clean, frame in good shape, tires like new, etc. All stock BTW. However the guy stopped riding it because the clutch stopped working. Engine does run though. Basically when you pull in the clutch it doesn't do anything. The cable moves the little arm down on the transmission and recoils from the little spring. The clutch feels like there's nothing there. You should be feeling the clutch springs when you pull the lever but its way to easy. He tried telling me that someone told him its missing a spring. I knew that wasn't the case. Thats how I talked him down so much. There's either no clutch installed or the push rod system isn't working.

I haven't had time to tear off the clutch cover yet but plan to tomorrow. I was talking to someone and they said that its a common problem for the Blaster to break the push rod. I remember that this rod is a decent size. I just can see it breaking. Have you guys ever had the push rod system break or know what could be causing the problem (besides there being no clutch installed)?

Reactions: shawnsadler
that rod is the actuator rod, and pushes the pressure plate out,
there is actually 2 rods, with a ball bearing in the middle, that will sometimes weld itself to the pressure plate side rod, that would cause the symptons you describe, as would the adjustment nut coming loose from the rod,

pull and have a look inside the clutch cover to see if the 10mm nut came loose, (center of pressure plate)
then pull the pressure plate and rod all as one to see if the bearing is welded to that side rod
and relay us what ya find

that rod is the actuator rod, and pushes the pressure plate out,
there is actually 2 rods, with a ball bearing in the middle, that will sometimes weld itself to the pressure plate side rod, that would cause the symptons you describe, as would the adjustment nut coming loose from the rod,

pull and have a look inside the clutch cover to see if the 10mm nut came loose, (center of pressure plate)
then pull the pressure plate and rod all as one to see if the bearing is welded to that side rod
and relay us what ya find

Your talking about the little metal ball right. I think I remember it being between those two rods. What is its purpose anyway?

Your talking about the little metal ball right. I think I remember it being between those two rods. What is its purpose anyway?

yes,
it's purpose is............ the clutch side rod is stationary, the one connected to the pressure plate is spinning at the clutches rpm rate, the ball in between allows that.
pulling the clutch in for long periods, which applies pressure to the whole rod system, at high rpm's usually causes it to weld itself to the spinning rod

yes,
it's purpose is............ the clutch side rod is stationary, the one connected to the pressure plate is spinning at the clutches rpm rate, the ball in between allows that.
pulling the clutch in for long periods, which applies pressure to the whole rod system, at high rpm's usually causes it to weld itself to the spinning rod
Oh ok that makes perfect sense. But why would it being welded to the other rod cause it not to push out on the pressure plate? Seems to me it didnt loose any mass/parts so there should still be enough metal to push it out.

Also how do I had a sig? Over at the rappy forum it has a option "Edit Signature" under " Settings & Options" at my User CP.

Same way, here. It's a couple of columns down the User CP page on the left side. Top left is the User CP button. I believe the option to Edit Signature is, in fact, under Settings and Options. I just learned how to do it. I:I

not sure why the welding of the ball creates the "no clutch" feel, but it does, i've done it
prolly cause that rod is very sensitive to adjustments, a little goes a long way when adjusting it in and out,
and when the rod welds to the ball, the rod is actually the one that loses material during the welding, making the whole unit shorter

Same way, here. It's a couple of columns down the User CP page on the left side. Top left is the User CP button. I believe the option to Edit Signature is, in fact, under Settings and Options. I just learned how to do it. I:I

Its not showing up on my User CP. I wonder if its because I haven't made enough posts yet or the account has to show use.

Welcome dude! Hope you get your clutch issue worked out, and you'll find heaps of fun (and many times cheap) mods to do on your blaster here on BF.COM.

Thanks guys!!!
Heres a pic of the Blaster, Rappy, and R1. As you can see Im a Yamaha guy :)
IMG_1519.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo5.jpg

Welcome man! Nice collection of bikes indeed!

Have fun modding that Blaster. First things on the list, for me, would be a better pipe, toss the airbox lid, and re-jet the carb. Then maybe upgrade at least the front brakes and get some better shocks. Whatever you do, as I'm sure you know, they're fun bikes...

Oh, and just FYI, the clutch lever on your Blaster is on the wrong side of the handlebars and it looks like the chain could do with a little re-tensioning. :)

I've sent two PM's and they dont show up in my sent inbox. Is there a post requirement or something before your PM's will go through?

Welcome man! Nice collection of bikes indeed!

Have fun modding that Blaster. First things on the list, for me, would be a better pipe, toss the airbox lid, and re-jet the carb. Then maybe upgrade at least the front brakes and get some better shocks. Whatever you do, as I'm sure you know, they're fun bikes...

Oh, and just FYI, the clutch lever on your Blaster is on the wrong side of the handlebars and it looks like the chain could do with a little re-tensioning. :)

Yeah I haven't rode it yet but I kno I will need to adjust the chain. But how is the clutch lever on the wrong side? My Rappy and R1 both have there clutch on the left side too...