new rebuild issues, fouled plugs, bog, and no idle

Daddyof4

Dec 22, 2015
did a stock rebuild. used all the gaskets and has good compression. starts first kick but wont idle and has a lot of bog and keeps fouling plugs. carb will either idle way to high or not enough. its a
KEIHIN carb. and fmf fatty pipe and power core two exhaust. the last piston and cylinder had a 100 on top. bore? mabey carb has a bad jet. no clue please help! rode the bike for an hour with correct gas mix

did a stock rebuild. used all the gaskets and has good compression. starts first kick but wont idle and has a lot of bog and keeps fouling plugs. carb will either idle way to high or not enough. its a
KEIHIN carb. and fmf fatty pipe and power core two exhaust. the last piston and cylinder had a 100 on top. bore? mabey carb has a bad jet. no clue please help! rode the bike for an hour with correct gas mix
also has new boysen power reeds and only acts right from 20-45% throttle

when u say the last piston and cylinder, leads me to believe you got a new piston and cylinder for the rebuild?

an ebay one perhaps?

Reactions: Daddyof4
who put the keihin carb on it ?
what size carb ?
what jets....pilot, main and needle ?
was it rejetted for a blaster ?
the carb is a PJ34 keihin and I don't know any other tech on carb. I put the carb on after changing the cylinder and piston kit. sorry I don't have more info. my buddy said it sounded like the needle isn't set right.

You should make sure that the motor is leak free by leak testing it with a leak tester.
we have no atv shops around to get it leak tested and ill have to exhaust a few other cheaper options first before I buy the test

put the stock carb back on it, best carb there is for a stock to mildly modded blaster.
a PJ34 can be tuned for blasters, but usually with much more engine work/mods than you have, and require all new pilot, needle and main, the jetting they come with used off other bikes is completely wrong.
you can't just throw any carb on it and hope it works, chances are greater it'll fry.

and leakdown testers aren't that expensive :)
unless you don't do it, then top ends and pistons will get expensive.
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/leakdown-testers.55015/

It sounds like you may have a jetting issue. I'd do what Awk says. He's never steered me wrong. Put the stock carb on there and kick it over.

Oh and make sure that your exhaust isn't plugged. I thought my blaster was jetted wrong because it did exactly what yours is doing. After about two hours of shoving a cloths hanger through my header I had a huge pile of mouse nest and a great running quad.

put the stock carb back on it, best carb there is for a stock to mildly modded blaster.
a PJ34 can be tuned for blasters, but usually with much more engine work/mods than you have, and require all new pilot, needle and main, the jetting they come with used off other bikes is completely wrong.
you can't just throw any carb on it and hope it works, chances are greater it'll fry.

and leakdown testers aren't that expensive :)
unless you don't do it, then top ends and pistons will get expensive.
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/leakdown-testers.55015/
I might be able to build this leak down tester, didt really think about that option. the carb used to work for this bike because I got the bike from the neighbor and its the same carb he used to tare my driveway up with lol. but I believe it did have a mild bore done to it when he had it. thanks for the help I'm going to do a leak down test this weekend and see if that will solve any of my questions.