New Crank Or New Engine?

chevyboy4

Oct 18, 2009
Middletown, RI
I've got a 2004 Blaster thats needed a bottom end rebuild since I bought it. Im pretty sure it just needs a new crank but I hear they can be somewhat expensive and replacing it can be tricky so I may need a shop to do it. Would I be better off putting a new crank in myself or by a shop (whatever I decide to do) or should I just start looking for a new engine?

I'd say just replace the crank yourself if you feel comfortable doing it. I don't think they are that difficult, I've never done it myself but plenty of people here have and can help you along the way. As far as cost goes, replacing the crank will be much cheaper than getting a whole new engine, plus you could even throw in a 3mm stroker crank for some extra power while you are replacing it.

A Blaster crank is not that expensive and not hard too do at all. Get yourself a manual read though it real good. Then see if you feel comfortable doing it. A shop will charge alot too do it.

blaster bottom end are cheap and ez to do i can't wait till this one blows up so i can do some engine mods but anyway look on youtube their are some good vid on bottom end rebuilds

its pretty easy with the right tools, and the right tools aren't just blaster specific, so you'll be able to use them on whatever other quads you do down the road. i got a wiseco crank for like 120 to my door, then another 55 for the installer tool which is nice.

send it to someone on this forum before a dam shop!! i hate shops with there ungodly nappy pricing and sloppy work

Its just kindof scary when you've never done it before, you dont know what to expect but once you do it you'll be thinking "dam that wasnt so bad". A shop is always my LAST resort

what better reason to send the jug out for porting and drop in a stroker I:I I:I

ill second that. but i found a spare mx race engine that cost the owner around £1000 to build, never used it, just by pure fluke i stumbled across it searching ebay, i payed £500 shipped. i even had my own cylinder and head off and packaged to send off for tuning when the post office was open...

moral of the story dont rush into buying aall the bits have a look about first you might just be lucky and pick up a full motor with work done cheap.

i did a complete bottom end overhaul on mine not long ago and it was my first time. It was pretty easy with all the right tools. you will need a case splitter, a crank puller/installer, and a flywheel puller and most def a manual also an impact gun helps with some of the bolts. having none of the tools to start with the whole project was about seven to eight hundred and i bought a whole top end too (piston and prebored jug) make sure to get all new seals and bearings. the crank bearings are easy to find and they come with a lot of the kits most come with seals and gaskets for the bottom end too when you get a BOTTOM END KIT.The transmission bearings are a little harder to find.( I do all my shopping on ebay) And if you are a precise sob like myself you will want a torque wrench too. everything else you need are pretty common tools. pay close attention to the kick starter spring placement when you slap her back together it is a bit weird the way it fits back in to place. oh yeah you need snap ring pliers. I didn't use them but it makes life a bit easier. any questions just ask. good luck! Screw shops they aren't good for anything but two stroke oil!

700 or 800, your scaring me, mine is making some bad noise and its a brand new top end, so im thinking its the bottom, but that is way to much to invest into a motor for me, i better start searching craigslist

700 or 800, your scaring me, mine is making some bad noise and its a brand new top end, so im thinking its the bottom, but that is way to much to invest into a motor for me, i better start searching craigslist

I already have 800 in my bottom end and it isn't even together yet. I did go the route in attempting to buy another bottom end. Owner said it needed crank bearings and seals. I figure... $60 in parts. and it had the hot rods stroker crank in it. I figured score! Yeah score alright.. till I realized the case was cracked internally and the hot rods crank is on the verge of needing rebuilt I think. So... yeah. Basically I bought a pile of junk. I had to find another case half to replace the cracked one... found that on craigslist. But... now since I am in this deep, I am having the trans bearings, balancer bearings replaced with oem bearings. New hot rods bearings, and new hotrods stroker crank. Now I have to clearance the new half again. (anyone have pic's on where to grind. I can eyeball off the old but if someone has directions it would be cool). Um... oh yeah and the crank installer tool, clutch / flywheel tool. Trust me, that bottom end I bought looked mint, but boy has it been more trouble than it is worth imho. My 800 doesn't include any top end parts yet. I dropped $477.25 of that 800 today.