New Blaster Owner Questions

Thanks Blaaster for scaring me into ordering new chain and sprockets.
Any ideas on how the brakes work? I just dont get how to attach the foot lever to the hydraulic piston

That brake pedal is for an older model (pre 03). They are a different set up than the newer 03-06. The master cyl wont bolt right up. Is there a way to make it work? I don't know , you may be able to fab something up. That is an older blaster pre 03. You can tell by the frame and the brake pedal. The master cyl you have isn't a Blaster one either, it looks close though. If you can find the Vin there is a way to tell the year.

You may want to talk to member Awk08. He has hydro rear brake conversions for the older model blasters.

it is a 03 because 10th digit of vin is 3. It likely has an older brake pedal though... i have a spare pedal that is the same as that one then i have something that i think is a newer brake lever. Were the 03-06 ones longer? If so thats what i have as a spare

After zooming in on the pic it looks like someone welded that tab on there for a cable brake, also looks like the bracket for the rear master are still there :) You will need to cut that tab off. Find a pic of a newer frame and you will see what I mean.

It looks like thats what was done because that tab that looks like a cable would go to it is welded pretty slopily. Would you recommend getting the rest of the parts to use older style brakes or what?

I see it the other way around, thats a 88-02 cable brake frame, and someone cut loose and bent the cable brake bracket and welded an 03+ hydro bracket to it.
on the 03+ w/ hydro's, the master goes on the inside, but what you have now is a mess :(
you also do not have the 03+ hydro peg with little tab to run the master cylinder.
you can weld an extension onto that cable brake pedal to actuate the matser as I do on my gsxr systems, but the way that bracket is welded on is putting the master too far back inside the frame.
if you have a welder to extend the pedal, I'd suggest cutting the mounts off the frame and starting over, aligning everything.... before welding anything.

OK, so I got the bracket for a cable off and it has a stock 03-up bracket there
The cylinder I have isn't the right one though so I think I need to find the correct cylinder, cable, and pedal.

yeah definately, i will take some tonight. Here is a pic of the stock cylinder mount after i got the cable mount off.
IMG_20150308_171400.jpg

I was wrong above, that isn't as bad as the last pic looked.
the hydro bracket does appear to be factory welded, and must be on 03+ frame that someone welded the cable bracket onto, and also used the cable brake peg/pedal.
my guess is someone with a pre 03 blaster bought an 03+ frame as a replacement, and swapped all their pre 03 stuff onto it ?

lets see the carrier and rear brakes

anybody got some helpful info on the brakes? is that an older caliper? where would be the best place to get the new lever, cylinder, cable, and caliper? Also on a different subject, I cleaned the carb and afterwards the float or needle is sticking and so fuel goes straight through out the overflow lines. i pulled it back out and the float valve is completely free and moves easy and i have taken the slide out and put it back in 3 times with no luck... any ideas?

just as I figured from the earlier pics, the only thing hydro you have is a master mount on the frame and a mismatched unknown master cylinder.
everything else is cable brake based...caliper, axle carrier mounts for caliper, peg & pedal.

someone swapped all cable brake parts onto a 03+ hydro frame.
so now you're missing the cable bracket to even restore the cable brake system :(

I and others will tell you to get my GSXR brakes, but they're designed to bolt onto a pre 03 frame to the cable bracket, not the master cylinder bracket you have.
and without me tearing everything off my 06 frame down to fabricate a system (which i'm not doing)
my bolt on kits won't work for you :)

you're in a pickle, hows your welding/fabricating skills and wallet ?

as for the carb, did you set the float height ? (look in carburetor section for how to)
could be time for new float needle valve.

yeah, im figuring that somebody swapped everything off of an older bike onto a newer frame and never finished setting up the brakes. Im thinking that for now i will just stick with my front brakes and see how it rides like that because they work well. I will keep an eye out on craigslist for somebody parting out an 03-up and make an offer on all the parts i need.

For the carb i have not done that but i will try that tomorrow. Thanks alot.