Need reed spacer info

Reed spacers are used to help put an emphasis on low RPM power on a 2-stroke, at the cost of top end output. I'm not an expert in this area, but I do know that an installed reed spacer lengthens the intake tract (between the carbuertor and crankcase) and, I think, reduces the velocity of the incoming fuel/air charge. The engine is better able to make use of the slower-moving intake charge created by a reed spacer at lower RPM's, so it produces better power down low. However, a reed spacer has a sort of 'choking' effect on the engine as it is run closer and closer to WOT, so some power is lost up top.

Unlike boost bottles and the infamous 'ScaryFast PowerNOW', reed spacers DO work. At least to some extent. So does using lower gearing. I don't personally run a reed spacer, since I don't like wrestling my Blaster's clutch on the trails, but you may see some gains with a spacer if you like riding where you need extra low-end torque. My .02.

Reactions: Devan Cart
Reed spacers should only be used if the carb needs to clear the clutch arm, frame or other part of the bike. They increase your risk of an air leak by adding yet an other gasket surface. They do have a very mild (you won't notice by the seat of your pants) effect on power and how they affect power will depend on whether you locate them before or after your reed cage.

good point wildcard, i thought i read that somewhere, if ya put it before the reeds it does one thing and behind the reeds the other, one i think is helps low end and the other top end?????

hmmm this is interesting info, i just put a reed spacer on because my carb was hitting my arm bad and i didnt like how it fit being tilted as far as it had to be to work. what im noticeing is a amplified "sputtering" effect while at 1/4 throttle or under, it did this before the addition of the spacer but seems worse now??:-/ BUT the machine riiips when you are giving it a bunch of gas. so i talked to yb a bit and he is running a pilot a good bit bigger than the 48 i have in so im going to pick up a few bigger ones tomorrow and see what happens. if anybody has some thoughts on this i would love to hear em.

hey i used to run a reed spacer in my stock blaster and i think that helped it with power. but i used it in my current blaster with 240 kit, reeds, blah blah blah... and i think it actually gave me less bottom end power. but if you want a reed spacer i have one and ill give it to you if you pay shipping...

hey i used to run a reed spacer in my stock blaster and i think that helped it with power. but i used it in my current blaster with 240 kit, reeds, blah blah blah... and i think it actually gave me less bottom end power. but if you want a reed spacer i have one and ill give it to you if you pay shipping...

thanks man thats a nice offer but i have the spacer installed already. im not looking for a preformance gain i just needed it to back my carb away from the clutch arm. my issue is that ive always had a bit of a sputter at 1/4 throttle or less and now with the spacer it seems worse. im thinking i need a bigger pilot just fishing for thoughts.

well super noober... not to be a dick to you but i was offering it to dakotademon7. but if im running a 320 main then what pilot should i run? sorry to jack your thread dakotademon7

this is a old thread s-10 i just brought it up to noob for some info,

and noob go with the bigger pilot and im sure that will take care of it

well super noober... not to be a dick to you but i was offering it to dakotademon7. but if im running a 320 main then what pilot should i run? sorry to jack your thread dakotademon7

LOL!,. oops, yb dug this up from 7 months ago for me and i made a post today so when you posted after me it seemed like you were talking to me. no biggie, like i said i already have a spacer, mabey dakota still wants one? :-/

Do you still have reed spacer I can get from you?