Need HELP!

olds68cutty

Nov 22, 2008
Santa Clara, CA
hey everyone. i recently got a blaster from a friend and it has not been started in awhile. i got it home and went to start it and it goes full throttle like its gunna blow the motor and then shuts off. in order to get it started i had to pull the choke all the way out. when i put the choke back in dies. This is what i have done so far...

1. pulled carb of and semi cleaned it. mostly sprayed carb clean inside and wiped clean. and then re installed.

2. removed tors

3. removed throttle cable from handle bar to make sure there was no binding

4. ive tried turning the fuel switch both ways when running at those high rpms

a few minutes ago i got it to start and run for even longer with out dieing. it started with more of a mellow rpm and then went to high rpm. i tried turning fuel adjuster screw near tank but did not help. i then went to hit the off switch and that did nothing so i finally pushed the choke in and it died. i did try to move the throttle cable but i felt no response. got any ideas?

i am willing to help you out on this basically you need to do a visual inspection
with the carb boots taken off and the carb still together (top still on) look in through where the air flows through and watch to see if the slide is moving freely up and down by pushing the throttle lever
if it does not completely close or does not close at all then you need to remove the top of the carb and check for defects on the slide itself and inside of the slide housing , even the slightest burrs or marks can cause bad movement because of the close tolerances
also check to see that the needle that runs within the slide is not catching anywheres
if everything moves freely with no snags let us know and we are always happy to help
also dont be afraid to take a bunch of pics to let us see what u see

so the slider is closed about 3/4 of the way. i lightly pushed on it and it did not seem to move. i also pushed on the throttle cable and it all feels stuck. when i first got my blaster i thought the throttle felt stuck and i guess this would explain it....know what?

hs2gpd.jpg

29575ea.jpg

okay that is a problem
does the slide move up/down/l/r at all?
if not , are you able to get at the spring , ull know which spring if u can see it??

well dont force anything ,u dont wanna break it anymore than it may already be , let me think a minute
do you know where the air/fuel ratio screw is on the choke side of the carb?
just to the left of that screw,right directly in the middle of the carb on the outside of the housing there is what looks like an adjustment screw , mine is stripped so im not sure if it is a screw or a pin ,anyways , it is what lines up the slide with the carb to keep it from spinning around in there
if it is turnable try to unscrew it from the housing
if it is too tight it will keep the slide from sliding, possibly causing your issue

i attempted to take the screw out but i was starting to strip. i even grinded down a bit to fit but no luck. ill have to find a different type of bit to modify to fit perfect and hopefully it wont strip

when i was working on my carb one time i put the slide in kinda crooked and got it stuck and hung up on the little part i was telling you about
when i got it out i had to use a big pair of pliers to literally rip it out
ended up scarring the slide so i had to take a piece of sandpaper to smooth it up so that it would slide freely

can you see through the carb openings ? possibly enough to get something through there ?
maybe try and stick a screwdriver or prytool and see if you can jimmy the slide up and out , be patient and try not to rough up the inside of the carb