Mystery Engine!

Longview

Mar 16, 2012
Attleboro, Massachusetts
www.facebook.com
Friend of mind had an engine for an old Go kart that ran, but needed a new pull wire. Time went on and he needed a carb bowl from it. Now it's in my hands because I'll take any junk i see. ;)

After looking it over, it doesn't look that bad, i only took a peek in the top end. But apparently the jug doesn't come off, so you need to split the cases to actually get the piston out.

The carb I thought would fit on it, didn't. So i need find one of those.

I wanted to look at part prices to see if it would be worth even attempting to get running, if not, i'd Scrap it. But i can't find anything. X(

I Have the Model and Serial number. But Google did nothing.

Model= M4-5504SE
Serial= 5190 05060

If anyone had any idea what this is, Please share the Info.

This is without any of the guards.

007-2.jpg

008-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure that exhaust isn't stock.

Sure looks like an old Briggs to me., but it could be a Kirby,

I thought the Briggs had the bolts on the valve inspection cover were on two corners, I know some of the verticals do.

There also seems to be more airspace between the cylinder and the valve setup. Briggs seem to incorporate the valve housing within the cylinder finning.

Did anyone make a Briggs clone?

Last edited:
The torque converter is *probably* a tapered shaft fit. Most of the hoffco products are. They actually sell a "special tool" puller for each of their models of clutches in order to be able to remove them. I have the 103HPQ (M14L x 1.5) tool and 102 (3/4"-16) tool at the house. That looks like a smaller version of the 102 clutch and probably a different removal tool....

The torque converter is *probably* a tapered shaft fit. Most of the hoffco products are. They actually sell a "special tool" puller for each of their models of clutches in order to be able to remove them. I have the 103HPQ (M14L x 1.5) tool and 102 (3/4"-16) tool at the house. That looks like a smaller version of the 102 clutch and probably a different removal tool....

How would i know what size, would it be marked?

I had a push mower with a Tecumseh motor on it.- 20 years ago lol

I wouldn't be surprised if this one was just as old. 8-|