Michigan helmet law repealed.

blasterdad

Warning : Contains Lead
Mar 26, 2010
Michigan
Michigan governor signs bill making wearing a helmet optional for many motorcyclists | The Republic

Not trying to throw rocks at a bee's nest, just curious as to how many members would still wear a helmet if they didn't have to....
I still do because one has saved my melon a time or two.
The most memorable was the damn dog that ran directly under my front tire trying to chase my buddy, whom I was following, (Fifth gear, gravel road.)
The dog was ok, but the left side of my helmet was shredded.
I'm pretty sure I still have both ears because of the ugliest, hand me down, metal flake brown Bell helmet I've ever seen.

Oh hell yes, I hate ridding even my quad without a helmet. There is no way I would ever ride without one

In the words of the man himself...

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan
So i do see and agree with people being against the government telling us what we have to do to protect ourselves but,

People that ride with no helmet will be attending there own funeral shortly. IMO Helmet no matter what!!!!

Michigan governor signs bill making wearing a helmet optional for many motorcyclists | The Republic

Not trying to throw rocks at a bee's nest, just curious as to how many members would still wear a helmet if they didn't have to....
I still do because one has saved my melon a time or two.
The most memorable was the damn dog that ran directly under my front tire trying to chase my buddy, whom I was following, (Fifth gear, gravel road.)
The dog was ok, but the left side of my helmet was shredded.
I'm pretty sure I still have both ears because of the ugliest, hand me down, metal flake brown Bell helmet I've ever seen.

It is currently North Carolina law to wear a helmet whenever you are not riding on your personal land. However, even if it was not law, I'd have a helmet in the truck any time the blasty's in the back....

Helmets are mandatory in NY too, unless on own land. Now, I don't wear a helmet on my own land, but I dont' ride radical and I own .25 acre with the house plopped in the middle and a barn in the back corner. Think of it this way though, helmets $40-$200, trip to ER $500 minimum, Ambulance costs $$$, follow up visits, time away from work, scaring the dookie out of your family....yeah, I'll ride DOT and SNELL approved on my head when I hit the trails.

I would wear one for sure. It's a trip when I'm in Arizona and someone will ride by on their harley with no helmet. Usually causes me to flash back to the 70's when people didn't know no better........

x2 on snell. have you ever seen the abuse snell puts helmets through for cert... thats all i trust my melon to.

Yeah, they 10x the gravitational forces and velocities of impacts at over 100mph. They treat them like a stolen car. My good buddy works at Team Wendy in Cleveland OH. They make helmets for snowboarders, skiiers and military....family startup company after one of them died from a head injury while snowboarding. Anyhow, they take SNELL cert tests and double them. They take a bowling ball and drop them 3 stories on to the helmets...they do catastrophic tests, it's pretty cool some of the stuff they do. Bad thing is, they don't do Trail or Road Helmets....yet. ;)

I could MAYBE( but still wouldnt do it)see not wearing a helmet out in dunes (by yourself not with a bunch of other idiots around),but I couldn't imagine riding the tight trails that I ride without a helmet.

Main reason being for protection from all the twigs and branches, those bastards hurt when you get twapped on the arm, forget getting smacked in the face or getting an eye poked out.

Last year I had a deer jump out in front of me on a tight trail when I was wide open in 4th, scared the sh*t out of me. Doesn't matter how good you are, unpredictable sh*t happens. Always a helmet for me and my girlfriend if she tags along.

I haven't and won't bother reading it, don't know if it includes off road anyway. Never on the road especially. They could make it AGAINST the law and I would still wear one.

Without a doubt I would wear one no matter on or off road. I have had things whack my helmet hard enough to rock my head while riding on the road, I'd hate to have been one of those that won't wear them "cause they don't help anyways". I know we all know someone that believes this. When I lived in NC I rode my black VX800 to work everyday with my black jacket and black helmet and black gloves,, well you get the idea,, it got hot at times and the guys I worked with called me nuts but it really wasn't that bad when ya was movin. I have always told folks that I don't like the idea od asphault surfin without the right gear and flesh rubbs right off.

PA. repealed the helmet law a few years back for anyone with +2 years streetbike lisence
i wouldn't be caught without one on the street or the trails

most people don't realize just how light of a hit it takes to the temple area to give you the mental capacity of a 3 year old and drooling spaghetti-O's down your chin again .......

twb-spaghetti-sauce-face-15.jpg

i Agree^^^ ive lost a couple of friends do to motorcyle accidents. not there fault but the dumb a$$ drivers in cars that dont SEE them. Two kinds of riders in this world, ones whom have Been down and ones that are Going down. protect your melon!!!

I could MAYBE( but still wouldnt do it)see not wearing a helmet out in dunes (by yourself not with a bunch of other idiots around),but I couldn't imagine riding the tight trails that I ride without a helmet.

Don't kid yourself....the dunes are as dangerous as anything when you consider the backside drop-offs and other unseen vehicles appearing out of no where. Then there's the fact that everytime I've come off my quad, my quad has come after me.....:eek:

Last edited:
Then theres' the fact that everytime I've come off my quad, my quad has come after me.....:eek:

oh yeah, she'll chase ya like a rabid dog everytime, thats why i always hit the ground runnin !!!!