Major shifting problems...PLEASE HELP!!!

tweathers

Mar 16, 2009
I know that so far all of my posts have been begging for help but I will admit I am a noob and there are a lot of extremely helpful people on here and everyone seems very nice.

With that being said I rebuilt the top end of my 89 Blaster .040 over no other major mods on my quad except exhaust. I rode it today to break it in everything went real well it ran great I was very careful breaking it in and had experienced people with me helping me through the process used a whole tank staying out of the power band and letting it cool off and idle then ride then repeat.

Eventually we started doing some descent riding and I charged a hill that wasn't too steep but I was on the wrong side of it and ended up having to go at it again. Next time up I ended up rolling it 3-4 times down the hill. All that happened was the clutch lever bent back a little.

Once I started riding (finding another way to the top of the hill) it got stuck in neutral then was a pain to get it past 2nd gear. To get it into 3rd I have to pull in the clutch and drop to 1st then shift straight back up to 3rd without letting out the clutch and even then it is real hard to get in. By hard I mean literally I cannot lift the shifter it just will not move if it is in 2nd.

I have always had problems getting it into 6th...well I've never actually been able to get it into 6th and yes I do know it is 1 down 5 up (I've noticed a lot of people mention to make sure you know that and I do it does not go into 6th gear). It's as if there is no gear there I would try to lift the shifter and it just felt like riding a bike and trying to shift when you are already in your top gear.

Sorry for the long read but I hope someone will read this and have some suggestions for me. I am kind of worried about trying to work on the trans by myself. I am very familiar with working on cars but either way would never attempt a transmission and now the top end was the first thing I have ever worked on any kind of motorcycle engine (completely different than cars). So basically any advice would be extremely helpful whether it be approximate cost of having someone look into this or if it is fairly basic to where I can do it just by using schematics to fix this myself and what it might be.

Thanks in advance!!

I am just throwing this out there some one els might have a better thought about it but I will go and check that your shift rod is not bent and also have a look at your "shift star".The bottom end is not such a major thing to do you just need to do a good up read about it and download the manual if you don't have it.

I am just throwing this out there some one els might have a better thought about it but I will go and check that your shift rod is not bent and also have a look at your "shift star".The bottom end is not such a major thing to do you just need to do a good up read about it and download the manual if you don't have it.

Believe it or not...I am the third owner and I do still have the original owner's manual/user's guide from 1989. I did do a check of the shifter/shift rod and I will admit I truly am THAT much of a noob where is the shift star located? I did search using my search engine and i know what I am looking for but I could not find location. Do I need to pull anything apart or can I inspect the shift star without pulling anything apart?

Another thing to add to my original post...when we were on the way back because of my issues I was going up a fairly long but not very steep hill that was kind of sandy (something that normally would be no problem going up without even having to downshift if I was in the powerband in 3rd which I was definitely in) but it dropped out of the power band so I went do downshift and it bogged more so I downshifted one more time and it bogged worse and stalled out almost as if it were upshifting.

Go to the bottem end section of your Manual and you would find every thing there to where the shif star is located

so looking into it a little bit this weekend I realized that all that is happening is the shift lever is not returning to its original place so if I touch it then it goes back down and I can shift again. So I still haven't pulled anything apart yet because I don't have the money to fix it right now so I didn't want a torn apart trans sitting around in a million pieces. I'm guessing it is just a spring on the shift lever. Any opinions on what that might run me to fix if it is something simple like that and I do the work myself?

if you tear the tranny down nothing and ive done mine like 3 times the past 3 days but if its yur foks yul have to buy new ones ive seen whole trannys goin on ebay for like 20

is the clutch fully disengaging when you pull it in? are you sure you did not pierce your case allowing your transmission fluid to leak out? and is your transmission fluid fresh?

is the clutch fully disengaging when you pull it in? are you sure you did not pierce your case allowing your transmission fluid to leak out? and is your transmission fluid fresh?

Yes the clutch is fully disengaging and there are no holes or cracks in the case. Fluid is still full and that was the first ride on fresh tranny fluid. I am doing some work for someone and they are gonna pull it apart and fix whatever is wrong with it for me so it will be getting fixed soon. I'll post when I figure out what it was that was causing problems. The person that is gonna fix it for me said probably a shift fork bent and some sort of return spring. That sound about right to anyone? I know someone posted something about probably a shift fork bent in here so im thinking that is probably right and it is just getting held up somehow.

I would change the Shift Shaft. I had a similar issue. What a big difference. The part can be purchased for about 30 bucks.

SKU: 37F-18101-02-00
SHIFT SHAFT ASSY

Chuck

Sounds Like The Shaft On Your Shift Drum/Star Is About To Shear Off. Just Had This Happen To mE Saturday. Think I Have Bent Forks And Am Splitting Cases Now.Welded Star Back On. Someone Stated That The New Ones Are Welded And Mine Is Too. Works Fine.