KZ Bobber Build

Braaaptor

Dec 1, 2009
Hamlet, NC
Ok, I know this isn't even close to being a Blaster, but since so many of y'all enjoy reading through build threads, I figured I'd make one for my bike.

I traded a nice...if older.... Kohler-powered Craftsman riding lawnmower for a non-running 1987 Kawasaki KZ305 LTD two years ago. It was all stock at the time, and in pretty good shape, except for having sat outside for about three months prior to my acquiring it. A new battery, fresh fuel, thorough carburetor cleaning, valve adjustment, new fuel line, fresh oil/filter, and new back tire got it running and roadworthy in short order. However, a problem with the title forced me to park it for a year until I got the situation resolved.

Now, with the title FINALLY in my name (stupid NC DMV and their rules! X(), I can concentrate on fixing it up again. The last time I rode the bike, it was just as it had left the Kawasaki factory back in 1987. But I decided that, like my Blaster, it wouldn't be staying stock for long. Resale on these oddball small bikes is like a Blaster's: Poor. Nice examples rarely fetch more than about $ 1,200.00. That said, and since I don't plan on selling it anytime soon, I'm going to make it into a bobber. I thought about keeping it all-original and just enjoying it for its historical value, but I hate the color scheme (who the F decided maroon would look good on a motorcycle???!!! :eek: Yuck!) and the strangely-bent handlebars with a passion. Plus, this bike really isn't considered a "classic", unlike Honda's CB 750 and Yamaha's RD 400 and XS 650...to name a few...so I don't feel too bad taking it apart and customizing it.

Here's a pic of the bike, taken as soon as I got it home.

155.jpg

As of now, I plan to build a good, daily-rider quality bobber. It won't be a show machine, and this won't be a full-rebuild. Just a strip-down, clean-up, and fix-up for spring riding. The frame is solid. I WILL NOT be cutting it much, if any. Maybe just enough to shorten the tail piece a bit. The engine runs great, even though it leaks a little oil. It will continue to do so until I eventually rebuild the top end in a few years. It doesn't smoke or rattle, so I'm going to double-check the valve adjustment and just leave it well enough alone after that.

Mods will probably be as follows:

-Apes, probably 16"
-LED tail light
-Re-located ignition switch
-New headlight. The bike has a salvage title from being laid down years ago. The only damage I can find is a damaged headlight bezel.
-Solo seat
-Painted or PC'd fuel tank...in Fire Engine Red!
-Diamond plate aluminum side covers for the battery and wiring
-Custom-built (by me) forward controls. This bike is so small, they are pretty much a requirement for a taller rider such as myself
-Chopped and re-fabbed exhaust. I don't believe in wide-open drag pipes, but I don't like the look of the stock megaphone mufflers either. They have to go in favor of something more...appropriate.
-Possible painted front and rear wheels. $$ depending.
-New clutch. It slips occasionally under hard acceleration, and considering this engine probably doesn't put out over 30hp, its a sure sign the plates are worn-out.
-New front brake line. I don't trust 26-year-old rubber. At all.
-New front for seals. They leak and will have to be replaced for the bike to pass inspection

Stay tuned for updates! This will be a slower build, but I hope to have it done by this May or June at the latest. The biggest obstacle will be money, but I have some already saved and won't be doing anything cosmetic until the basic bike has been built.

Here's how the bike sits as of now:

photobucket-28294-1357082244002.jpg

I have stripped it down, taken the carbs off to be re-jetted for the new exhaust I'll be building, and removed all the extras I won't be needing. This week, I'll dig it out of storage and get busy once more!

Comments/suggestions are welcome! This is my first bobber build, and I'd love everyone's input. I:I

one sweet bike man will be good once its done!:) i had a honda cd 175 1972 i think it was a few months back bought it to restore but never started swapped it for a yz 125 1992. bought the cd75 for £50/$75 straight swap for yz then sold yz how i swapped for £200/$320 :p

My dad had a bike just like that but a Suzuki GS550 (they all looked the same in the 80s) lol he sold it about 8 months before I turned 16....man was I mad haa

nice! I got a 81 kz440 LTD early this year from my step dad that was in ruff shape. it was crashed in 91 and hadn't been started since... I got it all fixed up, they are awesome little bikes but even the 440 is really underpowered though lol
I have been trying to decide if I want to chop it up and make a bobber out of it
or not... but I think ill end up turning it into a long distance highway bike

you should deff post alot of pics during your build so i can see how you are doing it. maybe ill get some ideas lol

here is mine when I got it:
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh313/tjsdaname27/IMG_1414_zpse867e8d2.jpg

and now after fixing it up:
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh313/tjsdaname27/IMG_3012_zps711001d4.jpg

nice! I got a 81 kz440 LTD early this year from my step dad that was in ruff shape. it was crashed in 91 and hadn't been started since... I got it all fixed up, they are awesome little bikes but even the 440 is really underpowered though lol
I have been trying to decide if I want to chop it up and make a bobber out of it
or not... but I think ill end up turning it into a long distance highway bike

you should deff post alot of pics during your build so i can see how you are doing it. maybe ill get some ideas lol

here is mine when I got it:
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh313/tjsdaname27/IMG_1414_zpse867e8d2.jpg

and now after fixing it up:
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh313/tjsdaname27/IMG_3012_zps711001d4.jpg

Very cool! Yeah, these little bikes aren't a powerhouse, but the high-revving (to 10K) engine and 6 speed gearbox really help get you going. My 305 really didn't come alive until around 5K RPM. Ill be curious to see how it does with a freer-flowing exhaust and richer carb jets.

Your bike looks like it has come a long ways from when you got it! Nice to see another older one still alive and running. IDK how Id feel taking something this small for a long highway cruise....You don't have a lot of reserve HP....but I suppose it could work. I have family in Texas and might just have to ride down and see them when this build is finished.

And yeah, Ill take plenty of pics as I go. My wife's truck is dead at the moment with an ignition problem, but Ill be getting it fixed soon and can then move on with the bike build.

sounds like an interesting build !!!

Hey this is my KZ:

271_29544825802_3658_n.jpg

Yeah I know the fairing and saddlebags make it look like an old man's bike, but...
I ain't a kid any more, it's true...

My son's Honda Civic gets better fuel mileage, but boys, don't she go!
I have owned a lot of bikes over the years and this is one has come closest to my favourite.
Power is ample, it corners HARD before dragging, triple disk brakes are excellent and it even off-roads acceptably!
No wonder the cops liked them. Feels as comfortable as well worn boots.

You know, there is a perfect size to everything. more is not always better.
(this is something us well experienced Blaster owners really know)
I have this other Kawi that has more power, is faster and corners even better:

299_31649385802_7062_n.jpg

I only ever drove it a summer.
Sits you like a frog humping a football, breaks the speed limit in 1st gear, and takes the greatest of restraint to not break the speed limit.
Sitting in the back of the garage, not feeling the love, gotta sell it...

One of the greatest joys of a motor cycle is being able to afford it.
Long drives without breaking the bank at the gas station.
I think your 305 makes a lot of sense.

Ever read the book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"?
True story about a guy heading across the country 2 up on a 305cc bike.

Steve

One of the greatest joys of a motor cycle is being able to afford it.
Long drives without breaking the bank at the gas station.
I think your 305 makes a lot of sense.

Ever read the book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"?
True story about a guy heading across the country 2 up on a 305cc bike.

Steve

I hear you there! I love not having a bike payment, and plus I think its a lot cooler to have something paid-off that's unique and not just another off-the-showroom-custom chopper or bobber. Plus those $ 8.00 fuel fill-ups make so much more sense. :D

Ive heard of Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance, but I've never read it. Now Im interested and will have to grab a copy.

I have some updates! I got the bike out of storage and into the shop the other night. Here's how it sits now:

photobucket-2452-1359506297936.jpg

I started on the exhaust last night. Stock exhaust removed....

photobucket-26610-1359506257538.jpg

....And chopped! These megaphone mufflers are going in the scrap pile. Time to make it louder! :D

photobucket-47663-1359507140566.jpg

I'm probably going to install baffles in the pipes, but no more big and bulky mufflers.

Something got hot and melted onto one of the headpipes at some point in time. Here's halfway through cleaning it up with a wire wheel:

photobucket-41069-1359507168730.jpg

It turns out the stock pipes on this bike have two layers...the actual exhaust-carrying pipe, and an outer plated "decroative" layer. Strange, but...OK....I can work with that.

photobucket-3221-1359506322852.jpg

I'll be working more on (and finishing) the exhaust this weekend or early next week. I stripped off some more unwanted stock bits and measured for my apes. 16" is gonna be the ticket.

More (and better) pics and updates coming. Stay tuned. I have not forgotten about this project.

I have some updates! <SOME SNIPPED>It turns out the stock pipes on this bike have two layers...the actual exhaust-carrying pipe, and an outer plated "decroative" layer. Strange, but...OK....I can work with that.
<MORE SNIPPED>

Lots of street bikes are like this. Keeps the outer pipes cool and not turning blue.
Also makes them look cool (fat!). Don't try to run just the outer pipe. It would be gutless.

Steve

Lots of street bikes are like this. Keeps the outer pipes cool and not turning blue.
Also makes them look cool (fat!). Don't try to run just the outer pipe. It would be gutless.

Steve

That makes sense, and explains why some custom bikes have problems with pipe bluing. I know you need to build the exhaust in a way so as to create some backpressure to help with scavenging. Do you think a set of internal pipe baffles would be sufficient on this engine? Or should I look for an appropriately-sized aftermarket muffler to install? I did some looking and parts hunting today and found what I need to build a 2-into-1 exhaust for the bike.

THANK YOU! I love bobbers. You have no idea how much i'd like to build one. I could next month if i had the money. :(

Best thing about a bobber is that they are always good candidates out there! Find an old, forgotten bike with a title, strip it down, get it running, install some fresh rubber, and you're well on your way to a good project.

There's no right or wrong way to do one, either. Start building, painting, welding...and if you don't like it, change it. Just don't go cutting on your frame until you are 100% sure you know what you want. Changes like that can't be easily reversed and may even be dangerous if you accidentally compromise the structural integrity of the frame. Nothing more scary than having your bike fall apart from under you while out riding.

I'm usually just a spectator on these forums, but I see you're working on my bike so I gotta jump in.

I have two objectives; make sure you keep posting on this build, and get some info about my 'Saki. I hope your build is coming along nicely. I also hope you can detail the front axle for me. My bike has this little gap, maybe an inch wide or less, that lets the front tire just slide from side to side. Stays in place when moving, but the rotor rubs the brake pads if I slide it around in the garage. Anyway, is there a spacer or something that's supposed to be in there?

I've barely had her on the road anyway, she has less than 500 miles on her which I think is correct. She sat nearly untouched, except by the weather, since (I'm guessing) 1987. Tank is about worthless, cleaned the carb but it still didn't run right, my seat didn't look as good as yours but it's been covered, I also hate my handlebars and not a fan of the color (been painting everything black and removing any badges and emblems). She is my very first bike that isn't a bicycle. But I cannot leave her stock, it isn't in me to let such a thing remain normal.

Please update what you got going on with your build, I scour the internet for anyone working on this bike. And any info you can give me on what this thing is supposed to look like when it's working right in original condition would be great. Post-op and pre-op is all interesting.

You name her? I gotta name my vehicles. Mine is Karissa.

Last edited:
This project is neither gone, nor forgotten! I have been busy lately in other areas of life, namely working on cars and working in the garden, but its now time for some more pics and UPDATES!!!

Since my last posting, I have removed a few more stock parts. The handlebars are off, and the bike is in even more pieces. I cut both of the stock muffler mounting bars off at the frame to clean the lines up. I also grabbed my full-size Sawzall and took the stock tail off the rear of the frame. The shock mounts are intact, and there is a crossmember slightly forward of the cut section, so structural integrity isn't compromised.

Cut frame:

For the rear turn signals that are no more, I simply installed the stock, clamp-on front signals on the back frame tubes on either side. I want some compact, bulllet LED indicators eventually, but since this is a budget build, the repurposed stockers will do for now. Plus, real bobbers are built with whatever you have on hand or can make. I hate "factory custom" bikes with a passion and am trying to get creative with this build rather than just go out and buy/slap on an assortment of aftermarket parts to make it look good.

Now, I'm about to make stock bike lovers really squirm.... I cut up my factory seat. There's no reason, in my mind, to buy an aftermarket solo seat when I can simply make my own. Plus, the modified stock pan tucks nicely into the backside of the fuel tank, so the tank won't have to be messed with for a clean look.

To start, I split the vinyl cover at the "hump" with my pneumatic reciprocating saw.

Then, I carefullly sliced the metal pan and foam in the same spot with my full-size Sawzall. Keep in mind, the stock seat pan is metal and is a challenge to cut.

Here's the result:

Note the "flap" left hanging in the first pic. Now all that remains to be done is to sew the vinyl flap down both sides and tuck/screw it into the seat pan on the bottom. I have a very bony behind....just ask my wife....and the extra padding will come in handy. I may hardtail it later (bolt-on struts), and these thin little aftermarket seats mounted on a pair of hardly-effective springs won't do.

After convincing my wife to help sew the seat back together with dental floss, its off to figure out the handlebars. Stay tuned...

I'm usually just a spectator on these forums, but I see you're working on my bike so I gotta jump in.

I have two objectives; make sure you keep posting on this build, and get some info about my 'Saki. I hope your build is coming along nicely. I also hope you can detail the front axle for me. My bike has this little gap, maybe an inch wide or less, that lets the front tire just slide from side to side. Stays in place when moving, but the rotor rubs the brake pads if I slide it around in the garage. Anyway, is there a spacer or something that's supposed to be in there?

I've barely had her on the road anyway, she has less than 500 miles on her which I think is correct. She sat nearly untouched, except by the weather, since (I'm guessing) 1987. Tank is about worthless, cleaned the carb but it still didn't run right, my seat didn't look as good as yours but it's been covered, I also hate my handlebars and not a fan of the color (been painting everything black and removing any badges and emblems). She is my very first bike that isn't a bicycle. But I cannot leave her stock, it isn't in me to let such a thing remain normal.

Please update what you got going on with your build, I scour the internet for anyone working on this bike. And any info you can give me on what this thing is supposed to look like when it's working right in original condition would be great. Post-op and pre-op is all interesting.

You name her? I gotta name my vehicles. Mine is Karissa.

Thanks for all the interest! I don't really name my projects...got too many of them lol...but this is also my first motorcycle and I want to make it mine. My wife has named her Polaris ATV "Loretta", however. When I sent her the first pic of it, she was listening to Loretta Lynn on the iPod, and the name stuck. Loretta's rebuild willl be chronicled in another upcoming thread.

If you give me a couple days, I'll get some pics up of my bike's front end. I'm sure you have a spacer missing, but let's find out for sure. Its nice to have another KZ lover onboard, and I'll help you however I can. These bikes are rare where I live and its nice to have any and all info I can get about them from the Web and other people.

-Nick-

A few pics of the front wheel assembly would be awesome. I've put some miles on it they way it is, but I know my brake rotor was rubbing the pad when I'd lean. I'm sure if it's missing something then I must have been all kinds of stupid to ride it that way. My seat was shot to hell from years of exposure to the elements, seeing you just cut yours kinda hurts. But an aunt reupholstered mine, nothing too professional but more than good enough for me. My tank is just shy of useless. I tried cleaning it, but there's just too much rust in there. I'm thinking of building a new tank...somehow. I'm curious, why are you considering a hardtail? I've seen a few done that way, but can't see an advantage. Maybe I'm spoiled by the soft ride of a car. I have yet to figure out how to drink my Pepsi while riding. Oh, if you've re-purposed the front blinkers into rear blinkers, what do you have for front blinkers? It's great to see an update on this. Makes me want to get to work on my bike.

It's cool to see anyone doing something with a machine that would other wise be left to ruin or even worse.....destroyed by some DA just because they got it cheap. I looked the bike up on BIKEZ.com, it's showing the GPZ305 is rated for 27HP @ 10K. Here's the link 1987 Kawasaki GPZ 305 Belt Drive specifications and pictures . BIKEZ.com is a great resource for bike data. I would like to do some custom work to my bike but I don't want to take it out of service. I'm not much for anything that's currently in production. I think if I was going to buy a bike that I would leave stock, it would be an FJR1300. I did go look at an R1 last week but it was too much money to bring home and start changing it to something else. Feel free to contact me if you need any parts, I have a couple or sources for parts locally. I'd be glad to do anything I can.

Have you considered an under belly muffler, like Buell uses? I think they look really good and it cleans up the back of the bike, gives a true minimal look.