just put in a new clutch side crank seal, still smoking?? why??

99Blasty

Jun 17, 2010
Virginia
just replaced the clutch side crank seal and my blaster is still smoking something awful? why? what else could cause this? case has never been split so shouldn't be leaking there. could it be bad rings? its been doing this since the topend got redone.

you sure the rings are in properly, compression test ?????
and how do you know the seal was bad, leakdown test ????? < if not do one,
why only clutch side seal and not both ?????
how long have you ran it since replacing the seal ????, could just be some residual tranny oil laying in the cases and pipe that needs burned off

compression test, leakdown test and get back to us

I dont have a compression tester or a leakdown tester readily avaliable right now but will get one. I only replaced the clutch side seal because thats what I was told as to why it was smoking. and I ran it maybe 30 mins. And it dosen't smoke until its warmed up. thanks for you help awk and I will be sure to get me a leak down tester soon and as soon as I get this fixed I will be hittin you up for a set of your gsxr brakes.

im running castor927 premixed 32/1. 310 main jet toomey pipe . new clutch side seal. someone else rebuilt it and its been doing this ever since. not sure what it could be havent rode it much just trying to figure out whats wrong with it. its kinda crazy it smokes then it dont. but before the seal replacement It looked like I had 2 stroke mix in my crank case. I was thinking maybe the rings got lined up but wasn't sure if that would cause it to smoke or not.

just sent ya a pm on the brakes, but will have more ready when you are, if i didnt have my sons motor comin back soon, i'd send ya my testers to borrow, both are a necessity for a good running, long lasting motor
compression testers at harbor freight for under $20, and contact holeshotman for a leak tester, or build your own, theres a diy in the diy section, good luck, and holler if i can help anyway

Its still doing it to this day with another bottem end I bought it off him an still doing that after I put another bttem end

I am running a castor blend Shell Advantage Racing M, It has a tendency to make more smoke than syn, and mineral oils.
I am led to believe that Castor blends have a higher viscosity than most 2 stroke oils and seems to build up in the crankcase a little more. I find that after long periods of, off throttle runs (engine braking) a gut full of oil is expelled through the cylinder and subsequently into the pipe causing excessive smoke.
It does not seem to effect performance.