just got ripped

trx450r214

Nov 4, 2012
Maryland
Ok. Being a chainsaw, trimmer, and leaf blower mechanic for the past four years im pretty obsessed with two strokes. Ive been riding since birth an lately have been wanting a two stroker smoker to mess around with to keep some of the beating off my 2008 450. A beat to hell 1996 barney purple and black blaster was my choice and i over payed big time. (i even asked my friends to talk me out of it but they wouldnt!!!). You guys all own them, so any help and or advise and or cheap parts to make it right would be greatly appreciated.

Parts i know that i need;
Kick starter return spring
New clutch
Back brake cable
Front tires (rears wouldnt hurt too)
front bumper (stock or aftermarket)

Thanks in advance,
Dylan

Attachments

• IMG955972.jpg
    IMG955972.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Welcome to the Site , Great place for info and Parts help ! , Sounds like a Small needed parts list compared to most times , I would suggest to invest in a Leak down tester , And just do allot of reading , There is a Downloadable manual on here for Certain need to know things !

Oh believe me bruce i know how to leakdown, pressure, and vacume test em. The bike runs good, no surging or shutting off or anything just doesnt move so good with a burnt up clutch in it.

Bruce, my guage doesnt read out you just turn the knob till the needle is in the little black mark, i useually pressure test at 20-25psi and vacume test at 2-4 bars negative though. But ive never messed with a blaster before its bigger than the tecumsehs and old 101 mccullochs.
Blue, not sure but ill check it out tomorow afternoon, i found the for sale section too thanks man.

Ok. Being a chainsaw, trimmer, and leaf blower mechanic for the past four years im pretty obsessed with two strokes. Ive been riding since birth an lately have been wanting a two stroker smoker to mess around with to keep some of the beating off my 2008 450. A beat to hell 1996 barney purple and black blaster was my choice and i over payed big time. (i even asked my friends to talk me out of it but they wouldnt!!!). You guys all own them, so any help and or advise and or cheap parts to make it right would be greatly appreciated.

Parts i know that i need;
Kick starter return spring
New clutch
Back brake cable
Front tires (rears wouldnt hurt too)
front bumper (stock or aftermarket)

Thanks in advance,
Dylan

if i were you i would take a little time and strip the blasty down and clean it up a little.some of the things you say you need might be a simple fix and save on having to buy.check the kick start spring assembley.on mine once in a blue moon the spring pops off the mounting hole,just needs to go back on. i always check flea bay for the things i need.. i bought front and rear holeshots mounted almost new for 125.00 with shipping.. tusk clutch 35.00w/shippingtus_clutch_kit_wsp.jpg kick start spring 9.99 and brake cable 25.00w/free ship... i found some things for you my friend

Attachments

• spring.JPG
    spring.JPG
    1.2 KB · Views: 203
  • cable.JPG
    cable.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: York Racing
Welcome to the site. When you get the new brake cable, get the shorty cable that eliminates the parking brake. It will help you to get the mechanical brakes to work better.

Ok. Im gonna check out the kick starter, order the clutch and cable, and fix some of the goofy stuff today. I didnt know these engines took so little pressure, thanks man, stihl and echo both test high since the oil pumps and flywheels hold the seals in i guess. You ever vacume test at all? Thanks for the pointers fellas. Also anyone find a good way to cut these style rear fenders?

yes there is a gasket and yes you just remove the kickstarter, footpeg, and clutch cover if you don't have oil injection. if you aren't in need of a tranny fluid change you can put the quad on it's side to do the work. then you don't have to drain the oil. but if you have oil injection i wouldn't do that

20-25 psi is waaay to much you will blow the seal out don't do that :p
In operation I'd be surprised if these motors made 1-2 psi over atmospheric presure.
The seals aren't design for all that presure. Not trying to be dik just stop you from blowing the seals sir I:I

i guess chainsaws and go cart motors test higher than bigger motors, thanks bruce ill just stick my reg for my paint gun on there when i go to do it.

also ordered the clutch, cover gasket and exhaust gasket (it was leaking) from ebay like $50 total. I wish 450 parts were this cheap!!!

i checked out the kickstart spring when i pulled the clutch, it was in the hole but it doesnt go down in very far, the spring is still good, and i held the shaft with a pair of pliers and wound the spring its still strong too. whats the deal?

also has anyone removed the oil pump (shaft and all) and just put a bolt through the hole with a copper gasket and a nylock nut?

Its possible that you have an air leak and weak compression so it might feel like you need a new spring when you might actually need a rebuild. Have you done a compression test?

put the cover back on and tested the kick start, works fine now. i guess the guy before me put the spring back in wrong. clutch and gaskets should be here by the weekend, along with my grab bar for my 450