Just got a locked up Blaster have questions

Tim Lutz

Aug 20, 2009
Columbus OHIO
Hi all,
Just joined the forum this morning. I ride a modified Banshee but just picked up a really nice purple 91 blaster w/locked up motor the other day for $200 for my son. When I tor it down I found a melted piston. Rings were pinched and most of the intake side if the piston skirt was in the bottom of the motor. It looker like the motor was getting oil so I took the carb apart. It had a 230 main with a FMF pipe so I figured that was the cause. I have not split the cases yet and have a few questions maybe some of you can help me with.

The counter balance shaft has a really tight spot in it when I turn it over by hand. Is this part prone to bending or bearing failure? What is the cause of this?

After flushing the bottom end with solvent and re-oiling everything the crank spins like silk. The rod has zero play up and down but will rock .090” back fourth at the small end. I haven’t got a shop manual yet. Does it sound like the rod is in spec? Big and little end have no discoloration.

The cylinder actually looks great and I’m thinking of just going with a new std piston and rings. What grit stone should I hone the cylinder with?

Dose anyone have a link to any manuals or parts breakdown on line or .pdf files they can email me?

Thanks you all. I can’t wait to ride this thing. Looks like a fun little quad. Sure can’t beat the price.

Last edited:
you can download a manual here, its not the best but its ok. side to side play is ok on the rod, mine did the same thing. im pretty surprised the cylinder wall is still in good enough shape to just hone it usually you need to take off .010. with the mods listed in my sig im using a 240 jet now and it riiiips so i doubt the 230 stock jet had anything to do with it blowing. is the oil injection removed? if not do that once you rebuild the top end, blasty oil injection is baaaaalls. welcome to the forum and you will find all the info you could want. I:I I:I

My piston did the same thing here recently. Mine was locked up cause a piece of piston was wedged underneath the crank. My rod had a small amount of play side to side which i found out was okay. But no up and down.
I managed to get away with only having to hone the cylinder. My dad did it for me, im guessing it was 320 grit but im not sure. Good luck and hope to see some pics soon.

Thanks for the replies I can see this is a very active forum. I still wondering about my tight counter balance shaft. I looks like I have no other choice but split the cases to find out what is causing the tight spot in the rotation.

Super Noober, Can't find that manual link. Is it on this site somewhere?

FYI,
Split the cases Saturday. The little clip that clips to the kick start gear was in pieces in the bottom of the cases. A small piece had made it up and stuck above the counter balance causing the tight spot in it's rotation.

Looks like all my $200 Blaster is going to need is a piston kit and a 280 main jet.