jumping out of gear

snake61047

Mar 9, 2013
Northern Illinois
OK so I was going to do a mid range plug chop this weekend. Bit as I was warming up the machine it would start jumping out of gear. It will only stay out for a couple seconds before it jump back in gear. It will happen in any gear but only under medium to hard acceleration. I have not torn into it yet but it will later this week. I was hoping for an idea as to where to look. Not sure if its the shift drum because it does it in all gears. Maybe a detent arm or weak spring?

shift star and/or detent arm are the usual suspects

Where would I look for wear.

look for the shift star to be loose, if it's a bolted on style, there are some that are welded.
and as for seeing wear ?....check the little roller that engages the shift star. it shouldn't wobble side to side much if any.
i battled one for 2-3 weeks, had the cover off numerous times, couldn't pinpoint the cause ?
till i just replaced everything...shifter rod, detent arm and shift star, which fixed it.
i think the problem was the little return springs on the detent arm ???

ok I have the detent arm off. I have a lot of side to did play as well as movement back and forth. The spring was still strong. The star was the bolt on type and was tight. the points still pointy. I am thinking it is the arm. Anyone know of a good place to buy. My local yami dealer doesn't have it and I was hoping to get it for cost. Thanks

alright. I got the new part. brand new in Yamaha package. The problem is that there is just as much play in the new part as the old part. I was told there shouldn't be any play. But if no play how can it spin on the pin. I haven't installed it yet. Looking for ideas and opinions on other problem areas. The shift drum shifts thru the gears smoothly and the star looks good. Im not sure what to look at next. The spring was strong and a little annoying to get off the detent arm.

Will all years of blaster shift cams swap? I pulled my star off and found that the groove for the keyway had a piece broke off allowing the star to move on the cam. I have a pic but having difficulties finding my cord to put on computer. I can get one from yami for 103.50. I found a used assembly out of a 02 for 19.00.