jump starting

loh61546

Jul 24, 2010
Manito, IL.
This maybe a really stupid question. Can you damage a CDI unit on a warrior by jump starting the battery? i read this somewhere on the net, but was not sure if it was true or not.

Cant see any reason that it would do any damage unless you put the jumpers on reverse polarity.

Its nothing more than fitting a new or recharged battery.

Last edited:
Short answer: No. You aren't gonna fry a CDI box using another, regular 12-volt battery to boost a dead or dying battery. Where you get into trouble is when you go to boost an ATV with another source which puts out too many volts. A sudden spike in voltage can fry a CDI box.

Example: Don't jump an ATV with a RUNNING vehicle or tractor. The vehicle battery's cranking amperage combined with its running engine's alternator output can be too much for the bike's electrical system to handle. On paper, you'll blow a fuse on the ATV before you damage something, but things don't always work that way in the real world. A loose or bad ground connection on the ATV can screw up a CDI system. Same thing goes for if, during jump-starting, a cable pops loose and shorts out against the frame. Not good.

My .02. Definately unhook and isolate the CDI box whenever you go to weld on a Warrior, too. Again, the huge voltage output from the welder can spell doom for sensitive onboard electronics.

Edited. Thanks, Blaaster!

Last edited:
I dont think you can even damage the atv's cdi unit when jumping it with a car or tractor. If you jumped it with a system that had a higher voltage system then yes. I say this because voltage is potential energy where as the amount of amps is determined by the load and the voltage. If the voltage is the same on both systems (12V) and the atv is the load (resistance in ohms) doesn't change of course then the amount of current can not be greater than what the atv's system is used to. I've jumped a couple of different atv's with cars and never had any problems.

Short answer: Example: Don't jump an ATV with a RUNNING vehicle or tractor. The vehicle battery's cranking amperage combined with its running engine's alternator output can be too much for the bike's electrical system to handle. On paper, you'll blow a fuse on the ATV before you damage something, but things don't always work that way in the real world. A loose or bad ground connection on the ATV can screw up a CDI system. Same thing goes for if, during jump-starting, a cable pops loose and shorts out against the frame. Not good.

My .02. Definately unhook and isolate the CDI box whenever you go to weld on a Warrior, too. Again, the huge amp output from the welder can spell doom for sensitive onboard electronics.

I always wondered what would be the best way to jump my atv battery if I ever had to and the ^^^^ above seems like a safe way to go on a few different levels. Thanks dude!

Any battery on a non running vehical will have more than enough juice to jump a quad, I definately wouldn't use the start/boost function on a charger. As to welding on them, I unplugged the cdi and stator on the blasturd, and if a unit had a volt reg I'd unplug that too.

Short answer: No. You aren't gonna fry a CDI box using another, regular 12-volt battery to boost a dead or dying battery. Where you get into trouble is when you go to boost an ATV with another source which puts out too many volts. A sudden spike in voltage can fry a CDI box.

My .02. Definately unhook and isolate the CDI box whenever you go to weld on a Warrior, too. Again, the huge voltage output from the welder can spell doom for sensitive onboard electronics.

If I may be so bold. I have corrected the above, from amps to volts.

An electrical component will only draw the amperage it requires to operate.

You can connect a 12 volt battery which is capable of delivering a 10,000 amps, and all will be well.

It is the voltage (pressure) that causes the problem, it is higher voltage that allow the current (amps) to flow.

Too many volts = too many amps = too much smoke.

You can connect a 12 volt battery which is capable of delivering a 10,000 amps, and all will be well.

It is the voltage (pressure) that causes the problem, it is higher voltage that allow the current (amps) to flow.

Sorry 'bout that. Thanks for the correction! :)

Yeah thats 100% correct, thats what I was trying to explain.