Is burning trans oil really THAT bad

Logan546

Aug 24, 2015
My buddys 02 blaster is burning the bottom end oil over time. He says its done it since he bought the quad last summer he said he just keeps the oil full every couple of rides, (he uses 10-30 motor oil not tranny fluid) and it doesnt smoke much. He said when he bought the quad it had 125psi compression and he also said he tested again and it was the same reading, the kicker feels the same and the quad runs the same. I tried telling him he should get new seals put in but he said it isnt that big a deal.... Your thoughts?

This is bad on so many levels I don't know where to start. :confused:

It has two crank seals, both the same age. Luckily the one leaking has oil to suck in (for now)
Now when (NOT IF) it leaks, it will suck in nothing but air, which will cause a lean condition, which can blow an engine up in as little as a minute.
What happens if he he forget to fill it? Sucks oil faster? Gets lost on trail and has no extra.?

For about $30 for seals and flywheel puller VS $200 (aprox) for melted piston repair makes this a no brainier.

Reactions: OConnor Racing
Im surprised it's lasted him this long like that.. But yeah thats what hes doin every few days when it gets low in the oil glass he just adds more... Hmm guess it shows how much abuse these engines can take

I am convincing him to get it fixed, personally I've never messed with a bottom end of any engine i only ever rebuilt top ends, but he doesnt know jacl squat about how a motor works so he said if it really is a super easy fix he'll take it to our local shop. But for me, im interested in knowing if this can actually be done easily without pulling the motor and splitting cases? I might just have him pay me to do it for him haha

I wouldn't say it's "easy" since you never did them before but it certainly isn't hard. The hardest part about doing it with the motor still in the bike is trying to be comfortable while doing it.. You definitely want to try and get the bike in a position to where it's comfortable to work on and where you can see what your doing..

Maybe something like this. :eek:.

redneckatv-1.jpg

So an engine in this condition if it were to be leak tested, would it show a fast air loss or not necessarily?

Last edited: