In over my head???

Lauraloo

Aug 17, 2011
Drummonds,TN
Just bought a 2002 blaster. Dont know hardly anything about it. The guy couldnt tell me much. It smokes bad.. wont idle.. leaking and spitting out black stuff from the exhaust pipe. Made the mistake of using walmart 2 stroke oil in the mix. Just used what we had left for the weedeater. Never owned a 2 stroke. How deep am i in? and where do i start???:-/

First, get a good synthetic two stroke motor oil. Does it still have the oil pump installed? If so did you pre-mix as well? If it is spitting out the pipe it is sputtering which is usually a sign of running an extremely rich mixture. Stock is 32:1 mix.

Is there an oil tank under the seat and if you trace the lines are they all still hooked up???

Im not sure if it still has the oil pump or not. The guy i got it from was premixing his gas but he didnt seem to know much about it at all. I removed a peice of plastic covering and there was what i believe to be the oil pump. but dont think its hooked up to anything.

So you removed the front peice of plastic on the kickstart side of the motor and there was still an oil pump but no lines ... if I'm hearing you right.

In this case you would pre-mix and there are a couple things to try first.

One - Drain any gas you currently have in the blaster.
Two -Get a good two-stroke motor oil : yamalube, belray, etc. In my opinion get a 32:1 mix oil (so not amsoil 50:1) etc.
Third - if using pump gas use 92 octane and pre-mix 32:1 gas to oil.
Fourth - adjust the idle on your carb so that the slide is slightly raised from bottoming out. (you can do this by giving it a slight bit of throttle when starting in neutral to hold an idle until you can adjust the slide up.) If you have a chunky metal box on top of your carb (this is called a TORS unit) there is a fine idle adjustment knob on the rear end of it. you can also raise the slide by adjusting the cable at the throttle on a stock blaster.
If you have just a cap with no metal contraption on it on the top of your carb, your TORS unit has been removed, in this case you should have a idle adjustment screw drilled into the middle of the side of your carb for adjustment.

Lastly - try this and see if you can get it running at an idle. make note of all it is doing so you can report back if you are still having problems. Pictures would also help just to see what you are working with....stock/aftermarket....etc.

Im not sure if it still has the oil pump or not. The guy i got it from was premixing his gas but he didnt seem to know much about it at all. I removed a peice of plastic covering and there was what i believe to be the oil pump. but dont think its hooked up to anything.

i dont kno about that j-mart weedeater oil i use castor 927 and pre mix myself. theres a DIY to eliminate the pump you can read up on that to see if yours is still hooked up. thats how i found out mine was gone. the whole pump is gone and a plate is covering the hole where the pump should be. like said above use a good oil itll make yer engine last longer

do you if your ride has any mods?

Yes u are right about the oil pump. Thats where it is. And yes there is a metal contraption on top of the carb. I was wondering what that thing was. Will do steps 1 through 3 first. Then i will try to figure out where the knob to adjust idle is if it still wont idle. And will work on gettin some pics up. Just now figuring this site out. Thanks for ur info.

As far as mods.. I know it has a fmf fat pipe for exhaust and a k&n air filter. It has a Minuki??? carb and it has a sticker on the fender for some special reed?? I dont even know what a reed is if that gives u any idea of how clueless i am about this .

5803-photo08171649-2.jpg

Just bought a 2002 blaster. Dont know hardly anything about it. The guy couldnt tell me much. It smokes bad.. wont idle.. leaking and spitting out black stuff from the exhaust pipe. Made the mistake of using walmart 2 stroke oil in the mix. Just used what we had left for the weedeater. Never owned a 2 stroke. How deep am i in? and where do i start???:-/

Ok blasters Have an oil injection sys that can and does go bad so a lot of people take them off and disconnect them. and many part's sights will sell them for arround $20 or so. It makes the quad lighter and there's no guess work in doing your own pre-mix. What I use is amsoil dominator it's premium stuff and only costs like $10 a quart which is pretty cheap compared to castor or maxima at $16 a quart most places. If your presed for money I used to use sthil chainsaw premix at 4oz per gallon of gas I use 90+ and you cant really go wrong. Think the better the gas and oil you put in the less it's gonna cost later in a motor rebuild. By the way the oil pump container is located under the seat and it sticks out over the back left tire. As for it smoking a lot it's when it's not smoking so much is when you need to be worried. The knob on the side of the carb is the choke you pull up on it to start the engine when it's cold. The Idle adjustment screw is the one twards the back on the same side and will be a golden/brass color. What you wanna do is get the bike started and find what works for you by turning the screw slowly to the left so it will run slower then to the right so it will run faster and leave it in that happy medium your looking for. As for your pipe FMF pipes tend to do that and drool(haha) knuckle dragger joke. no thats normal unluss you can visampl see tons of oil shooting out it's fine same as the smoking a lot comment above. A reed is an inlet valve that distributes your air fuel mixture evenly through the manifold to reach the piston abd is located between the carbeurator and engine. Yes there are many kinds of reeds yes they can be expensive, do you need to be worried no, not at all. But are they esencial yes you need them for your bike to run so dont take them out and play on them like a guitar.
For everything else were are here to help you with many knologable people here so ask away. Many of the things can be searched through the search through the drop down box and be looked up for you. However most of the things you might want to look up are stickied and are there for your convience at the top of each section of the the catogoreys of each section of the home.
Welcome and enjoy your new blaster dude I:I

I hope someone can tell me something about what im looking at from these pics.. I dont think theres an oil tank from what i can tell. Thanks everyone for the insight so far

I hope someone can tell me something about what im looking at from these pics.. I dont think theres an oil tank from what i can tell. Thanks everyone for the insight so far

No there is no longer an oil tank you have to pre mix it now. A mokmuki car is nothing special it's standard withe bigger jets inside most likely to acomidate the increase in power with more fuel. It's nothing to worry about. Looks like a regular used blaster you can tell because of the slightly busted exhaust cap. Someone hit it doing a wheelie to far back and taged it. It is still of corse still useable and nothing to fear by still useing it. Most everything on it says beginner use from the scraped paint on the front bumper to the dented exhaust cap to the baloon back tires most people use a size 18 flat profile tire.

Looks like you have a great starter bike there. FMF pipe is a great starter pipe, and other than that she is stock. You mentioned a reeds sticker earlier, so she might have some nice boyseen aftermarket replacement reeds. All the symptoms you described point to carb tuning/cleaning issues.

1st things first. I always do this on any bike I get new to me.

Clean air filter
Clean carb
Drain gas and refill with fresh gas/ premix