Idle problems!! 36mm Keihin

79 bronco

Moderator & Self Custom Psycho
Staff member
Apr 9, 2010
I don"t know???????
I cant get my blaster to idle without being on the throttle.

I got a Keihin 36mm pwk with a #50 pilot jet and the idle air screw is 2 turns out for the max idle, and my idle screw is ALL the way in, and it wont idle without some throttle.

I had to adjust my throttle cable adjuster on the throttle box to get it to idle.

I got a CT sonic 240 with a 4mm stroker and im working on my break in procedure right now and i dont like the idle!

If you dont know what happened to my motor have a look.>> http://www.blasterforum.com/off-topic-7/broken-56218/ AND http://www.blasterforum.com/pics-vids-9/tattered-v-force-3-reeds-56377/
I had to clean my cylinder replace my front cylinder stud and case bolt, got a new piston and ring set, gasket set, and reeds.

1.I did a leak test before i installed the motor, 5 pis for 15 min.
2.Installed motor and did compression test, it was 170psi.
3.Jetted the carb to what CT RACING recommended #165 main, #52 pilot, middle clip position on the needle.
4.Started break in procedure and cant get it to idle with out using the throttle, so i adjust my throttle cable adjuster on the throttle box to get it to idle.
5.Changed to a #50 piolt.
6.Cleaned carb,and check float height.
7.Cleaned air filter.
8.NEW race gas mixed at 40.1 and cleaned and gas tank and carb.
9.Did another compression test, it was 170psi
10.Did another leak test, 5 pis for 15 min.
11. And i did change the spark plug a few times NGK B8ES, and checked the GAP about .027.
12.Posting my problem on the Blasterforum for some HELP!!!

Keihin 36mm pwk, #50 pilot jet, #165 main, DGH needle middle clip position, #6 Slide.

I run the same carb on my motor. I had problems because I had a #5 slide. I would cut a little off the spring on the idle screw. I had to do that on my kx250 too. Every time I have dealt with these carbs the idle screw is almost all the way in.

I think I ended up with a 158 main and 50 pilot at sea level.

2 turns out is a 1/2 turn from needing a smaller pilot.
try a 48 just for the hell of it.
i use the pilot that idles highest at 1 to 1-1/2 turns out.
that allows me some adjustment either way for fine tuning for temp changes.
btw...i'm running the 48 in my 34 pj. and also use the cable to get it to idle < stupid choke circut idle knob

Check to see if the idle screw is actually lifting the slide.
The idle screw does lift the slide, but it does not open it enough. Its like the idle screw is not long enough or i need a slide that opens wider. THANKS!!

I run the same carb on my motor. I had problems because I had a #5 slide. I would cut a little off the spring on the idle screw. I had to do that on my kx250 too. Every time I have dealt with these carbs the idle screw is almost all the way in.

I think I ended up with a 158 main and 50 pilot at sea level.

I think i will try the idle screw without the spring to see if it will open the slide enough, and if it does i will cut the spring to fit! I think i was running a 155 main and a 48 pilot before my front cylinder studs broke. THANKS!!

2 turns out is a 1/2 turn from needing a smaller pilot.
try a 48 just for the hell of it.
i use the pilot that idles highest at 1 to 1-1/2 turns out.
that allows me some adjustment either way for fine tuning for temp changes.
btw...i'm running the 48 in my 34 pj. and also use the cable to get it to idle < stupid choke circut idle knob

I had a 48 in before my front cylinder studs broke and i decided to Jet the carb to what CT RACING recommended for the break in procedure, and i will probably go back to a 49 or 48 after the break in. Thanks!!!

I did not have any problems with the idle on this carb before the 4mm stroker. But after the stroker i was just using the cable to get it to idle. Now i'm trying to get the carb right and i'm starting to think this may be a stroker thing.:-/

Might be a stroker thing. I think you will find putting in a 48 and cutting 2 or 3 coils of the idle screw Spring will do the trick.

I got it to idle with no spring and the idle screw almost all the way in, with a #50 pilot jet.
Next I cut about 2 1/2 coils of the idle screw spring, and it was not enough so i kept cutting 1/2 of a coil off at a time until the idle screw went in far enough for i good idle. My spring is about 1/2 of the size it was when i started.

Does anyone know where i can get a spare idle spring and idle screw?

I got it to idle with no spring and the idle screw almost all the way in, with a #50 pilot jet.
Next I cut about 2 1/2 coils of the idle screw spring, and it was not enough so i kept cutting 1/2 of a coil off at a time until the idle screw went in far enough for i good idle. My spring is about 1/2 of the size it was when i started.

Does anyone know where i can get a spare idle spring and idle screw?

Did you ever put the 48 in there?

Did you ever put the 48 in there?

Not yet, im changing one thing at a time. I was think about running the 50 for the break in. It would be nice if the 48 jet would run a good idle with the screw out a few more turns. Right now all i can see is one coil of the spring between the carb and the screw head.