Dec 23, 2009
New grinder $54 6amp 4"
New driver/hammer- $60- 18v
MY b-day gift- Dremel 4000 all the attachments!!! $120

Tax time is so awesome!

520472b0.jpg

aa217209.jpg

48fd6e94.jpg

That's a good deal on that Makita grinder.

I use the same model (as far as I can tell) all day at work. I do burn one up every 2 months or so, but they're used HARD for 40 hours a week lol.

NEW TOOL DAY ROCKS!

That's a good deal on that Makita grinder.

I use the same model (as far as I can tell) all day at work. I do burn one up every 2 months or so, but they're used HARD for 40 hours a week lol.

NEW TOOL DAY ROCKS!

My last makita lasted 8 years, I burned it up cutting 1/4" aluminum track at work, Only complaint i have is the on of switch is on the side of the unit, which just so happens to be where i grip!

If i could weld good every time , I wouldn't need it!!!! :)

hobart1.jpg

hobart2.jpg

Not very good pictures, I know but I'll take better ones after I get the face plate redecaled and the engine back into running shape.

It's a Hobart Champion 16 225 amp AC/DC CC/CV engine driven generator. It's a different front panel but the same "guts" as a miller bobcat 225, a twin cylinder 16 hp Onan twin and a 8,000 watt 100% duty cycle AC/DC generator.

The guy that had it owns a mobile home hauling operation and was moving from one site to another and an idiot employee of his didn't strap the welder onto the truck bed. It took a tumble at about 10 mph onto the left rear corner (motor end) and did a flip in the middle of the road before landing upright! As far as I can tell the only damage to the engine is the oil pump "boss" is broken and the left side spark plug is broken off (not in the head, but the ceramic broke off the steel part!). I might be able to fix the oil pump boss myself (if not, it's a replaceable part), clean the carburetor, replace one spark plug, and fire it up!

Here's the CL ad although any minute it's going to get taken off:

hobart 16 -8000 watt gas welder/generator

I traded him, straight up:

Lincoln Pro-mig 135

The gas regulator and hose that comes with the unit.

About 50% of a 10lb roll of ER70S-6 wire and about 90% of a roll of flux core .035" wire.

A 150 cubic foot owner tank of argon/CO2 mix about half full I bought two months ago off CL for $100.

I:I

hobart1.jpg

hobart2.jpg

Not very good pictures, I know but I'll take better ones after I get the face plate redecaled and the engine back into running shape.

It's a Hobart Champion 16 225 amp AC/DC CC/CV engine driven generator. It's a different front panel but the same "guts" as a miller bobcat 225, a twin cylinder 16 hp Onan twin and a 8,000 watt 100% duty cycle AC/DC generator.

The guy that had it owns a mobile home hauling operation and was moving from one site to another and an idiot employee of his didn't strap the welder onto the truck bed. It took a tumble at about 10 mph onto the left rear corner (motor end) and did a flip in the middle of the road before landing upright! As far as I can tell the only damage to the engine is the oil pump "boss" is broken and the left side spark plug is broken off (not in the head, but the ceramic broke off the steel part!). I might be able to fix the oil pump boss myself (if not, it's a replaceable part), clean the carburetor, replace one spark plug, and fire it up!

Here's the CL ad although any minute it's going to get taken off:

hobart 16 -8000 watt gas welder/generator

I traded him, straight up:

Lincoln Pro-mig 135

The gas regulator and hose that comes with the unit.

About 50% of a 10lb roll of ER70S-6 wire and about 90% of a roll of flux core .035" wire.

A 150 cubic foot owner tank of argon/CO2 mix about half full I bought two months ago off CL for $100.

I:I

Sweet we will have a portable generator available at Busco!!

Seriously great find and trade! Onan's are great!

So far, it's just getting worse LOL!

I attempted to turn over the motor by hand and it was getting to one spot and stopping. I pulled the intake manifold and looked, both intake valves were moving. I pulled the muffler/manifold off (which is falling apart and will have to be replaced at some point) and one of the exhaust valves was stuck. I filled the exhaust port with marvel mystery oil and began to remove the head on that side. The block is a one piece cast unit and the head is bolted on the outside.

I rung one of the head bolts off in the left bank cylinder 8-| and ripped the head gasket on that side. Double 8-|.

The good news is, I got the valve unstuck very carefully and wire brushed the valve head down so I'm reasonably confident that it'll work well enough (at least for "testing" purposes).

More bad news, I wanted to make sure that the oil pump was going to work (while I have the filter assembly off) so I hooked jumper cables up to the battery cables and the start button didn't work so now I have more "tracking down" to do :(.

Good progress for one day, terrible news!

So far, it's just getting worse LOL!

I attempted to turn over the motor by hand and it was getting to one spot and stopping. I pulled the intake manifold and looked, both intake valves were moving. I pulled the muffler/manifold off (which is falling apart and will have to be replaced at some point) and one of the exhaust valves was stuck. I filled the exhaust port with marvel mystery oil and began to remove the head on that side. The block is a one piece cast unit and the head is bolted on the outside.

I rung one of the head bolts off in the left bank cylinder 8-| and ripped the head gasket on that side. Double 8-|.

The good news is, I got the valve unstuck very carefully and wire brushed the valve head down so I'm reasonably confident that it'll work well enough (at least for "testing" purposes).

More bad news, I wanted to make sure that the oil pump was going to work (while I have the filter assembly off) so I hooked jumper cables up to the battery cables and the start button didn't work so now I have more "tracking down" to do :(.

Good progress for one day, terrible news!

CL is a 50/50 shot!

But I'm sure you will get'r goin!

it's a great deal any way you look at it. I'm sure she'll run better that before you got it. Be persistent at it!!

Well, about 3 hours of carbide burring later, I got the broken head stud problem cured.

1/4" head pear shaped double cut carbide burr run on high flooded with oil based lubricant and a VERY steady hand.

I got the stud bored through the middle and then used a 21/64" drill bit to clear it and the damaged threads out of the way. I install a helicoil kit and will be using LOTS of anti-seize on ALL of the head bolts when they go back in.

I also found a few oil filter adapters on Ebay, although not for a Hobart Champion 16 LOL A john Deere model 316 lawn tractor used the P216G and P218G (same externally, just one's a stroked version putting out 2 more horsepower) engines so MOST of the parts are interchangeable. The only parts that aren't interchangeable are the generator specific parts (the idle kick down solenoid etc etc).

I might have this thing fired up (oil filter and everything :D) sometime next week!

:D I'm pleased as punch.

Well, about 3 hours of carbide burring later, I got the broken head stud problem cured.

1/4" head pear shaped double cut carbide burr run on high flooded with oil based lubricant and a VERY steady hand.

I got the stud bored through the middle and then used a 21/64" drill bit to clear it and the damaged threads out of the way. I install a helicoil kit and will be using LOTS of anti-seize on ALL of the head bolts when they go back in.

I also found a few oil filter adapters on Ebay, although not for a Hobart Champion 16 LOL A john Deere model 316 lawn tractor used the P216G and P218G (same externally, just one's a stroked version putting out 2 more horsepower) engines so MOST of the parts are interchangeable. The only parts that aren't interchangeable are the generator specific parts (the idle kick down solenoid etc etc).

I might have this thing fired up (oil filter and everything :D) sometime next week!

:D I'm pleased as punch.

Anytime you feel like changeing jobs let me know. I have dug out plenty of broken bolts exactly as you did with carbide birs and a high speed pencil grinder. Sure glad you got it out. You are one determined fool,lol Cant wait to hear that vid of that welder purring!!

Anytime you feel like changeing jobs let me know. I have dug out plenty of broken bolts exactly as you did with carbide birs and a high speed pencil grinder. Sure glad you got it out. You are one determined fool,lol Cant wait to hear that vid of that welder purring!!

Nah, I'm good where I'm at. If I was doing this crap for a living it wouldn't be NEARLY as much fun! I do, however, wish at least 3 times a year I had a knee mill and relatively large bed lathe setup in the shop.... one day....

Slick, I'm gonna stop crudding up your thread about the new tools and start a "rebuild thread" LMAO!

I do love the makita grinder BTW. I have an OLD porter cable hand-me-down which works great but the cord is looking worse for wear and the "stop" for changing the wheel is beat up (industrial use prior to my ownership)

Nah, I'm good where I'm at. If I was doing this crap for a living it wouldn't be NEARLY as much fun! I do, however, wish at least 3 times a year I had a knee mill and relatively large bed lathe setup in the shop.... one day....

Slick, I'm gonna stop crudding up your thread about the new tools and start a "rebuild thread" LMAO!

I do love the makita grinder BTW. I have an OLD porter cable hand-me-down which works great but the cord is looking worse for wear and the "stop" for changing the wheel is beat up (industrial use prior to my ownership)

It's all good, I just keep reading and reading! I new you would get it done!