I could use some outside opinions

Race_me89

Dec 31, 2013
Long Island
This is where I am in my head lol
I have a blaster where the piston shattered and now I have to rebuild it.
I have come up with a couple of scenarios

I could rebuild it with stock specs for fairly cheap and sell it to buy a banshee or yfz

Or

I could send the top end to ken oconner racing and start on suspension mods

My friends have 450r's and one has a yamaha 125. I kind of felt like the blaster was having a hard time keeping up. I'm 5'11" 200lbs and was bottoming out on jumps so i just am unsure of the best direction

Thank you ahead of time for your thoughts

This is where I am in my head lol
I have a blaster where the piston shattered and now I have to rebuild it.
I have come up with a couple of scenarios

I could rebuild it with stock specs for fairly cheap and sell it to buy a banshee or yfz

Or

I could send the top end to ken oconner racing and start on suspension mods

My friends have 450r's and one has a yamaha 125. I kind of felt like the blaster was having a hard time keeping up. I'm 5'11" 200lbs and was bottoming out on jumps so i just am unsure of the best direction

Thank you ahead of time for your thoughts

you could rebuild it and get it ported and stroked but i feel like you wouldint be satisfied if your trying to keep up with 450's

The decision is ultimately yours.But nothing better than riding a modded blaster and showing the yfz that the old kids quad can keep up. I am not a big fan of the 450 craze. A great rider on a slower bike can make a decent rider on a fast bike look stupid in the trails. My blaster has no problems keeping up with anything it rides with.

going to give you my honest opion.

i had a mint 02 blaster, by mint i mean showroom conditon no doubt about it. i had ken port the jug and hemi mod the head, toomey pipe/exhaust, extended swing arm, wheel spacers, itp holeshots etc etc. it was a great bike, with some nice power. but i wanted more.

sold it and picked up a showroom shape 2006 yfz450 all modded out with a fmf slip on and uni filter. when i bought it, it needed a carb cleaning, a rejett (only ran with choke pulled out) and even then i could tell it out hustled my built blaster by a big margin in the power department. not even gonna mention riding postion, suspension and just how sharp it felt.

i cleaned the carb, did a rejett, ziptie mod, cam mod (retard exhuast cam), i have yet to ride it but i can only imagine how much better it will feel from the prior ride, let alone how it wold compare to my built blaster.

the yfz450 is in another league all together. once i through a exhaust and a real intake on it, forget it.

id say if the blaster you have is in realllly nice shape, rebuild it to factory specs and sell it, if its beat up and really needs a frame off resto, id say try and sell it as is, or part it out and pick up a 450.

either way if your boys are on modded 450's your deff gonna feel like the odd man out. not knocking the blaster, cause to be honest i really liked mine, just wanted something with some serious bark and a overall better ride.

stratton.

Any way you build you motor, you need to get the bottom end taken apart and cleaned out very well... Piston chunks are probably in there and waiting to wreck the rest of the engine.

Beating a 450 is hard on a blaster... And it you think you can beat a yz125, boy do we have news for you.

A two stroke does great in the low end power area. But has no where near the amount of top speed either of your friends have.
If you learn to ride it right, you can keep up on trails. These are not road quads

its a matter of personal preference I love my blaster.If it was me I would trick out the blasty you can do a lot to it for what a 450 would cost you

going to give you my honest opion.

i had a mint 02 blaster, by mint i mean showroom conditon no doubt about it. i had ken port the jug and hemi mod the head, toomey pipe/exhaust, extended swing arm, wheel spacers, itp holeshots etc etc. it was a great bike, with some nice power. but i wanted more.

sold it and picked up a showroom shape 2006 yfz450 all modded out with a fmf slip on and uni filter. when i bought it, it needed a carb cleaning, a rejett (only ran with choke pulled out) and even then i could tell it out hustled my built blaster by a big margin in the power department. not even gonna mention riding postion, suspension and just how sharp it felt.

i cleaned the carb, did a rejett, ziptie mod, cam mod (retard exhuast cam), i have yet to ride it but i can only imagine how much better it will feel from the prior ride, let alone how it wold compare to my built blaster.

the yfz450 is in another league all together. once i through a exhaust and a real intake on it, forget it.

id say if the blaster you have is in realllly nice shape, rebuild it to factory specs and sell it, if its beat up and really needs a frame off resto, id say try and sell it as is, or part it out and pick up a 450.

either way if your boys are on modded 450's your deff gonna feel like the odd man out. not knocking the blaster, cause to be honest i really liked mine, just wanted something with some serious bark and a overall better ride.

stratton.

agreed........................

Well I got an itch for a 450. I was even considering trading my banshee for an 09 LTR 450. I'm glad I got over the itch. I have put way to much money into my bikes to trade for something that can be bought from a dealer at any given time. I have customized these bikes to be MY bikes. As you can see in my sig picture the possibilities to a blaster are endless. I haven't raced a 450 yet. I would probably lose in a straight drag race. Remember this.... You can only go so fast in trails. I would have no problem keeping up with a 450 in trails. The good thing is you can do a little at a time. Before you know it you will have a very nice bike. I like by blaster and banshee because you can't go buy brand new ones. If you are trail riding I say do a +4 stoker and get the cylinder ported. If you are riding in wide open spots or drag racing a lot then get the 450. I just like when I pull the blaster off the trailer and people say "What is that?" the choice is yours my friend.

I have a 450 and 660 and a blaster. I would say it matters what you do and how you feel about riding. I say keep the blaster and mod it up. Put a grand or two into the engine and you will already passing most things in the trails.

I have had my Blaster for 11 years and after 1 full year of racing my YFZ I'm ready to get rid of the Blaster. Have had Blasters only since 99/2000. I don't agree with you can only go so fast in the trails with a Blaster vs. a 450. I raced XC on my Blaster against 450s-up and did OK, but not as fast as my YFZ with just a slip on, wheels/tires, stem/bars, and skids. I have a buddy that would pull 3-6 min faster lap times on me while on the Blaster last year. Between the race season I did not ride either bike outside of my yard and I like my grass. So no practice/zero ride time and my lap times jump up 3-6 min every lap this year. My buddy now starts 2 rows ahead of me so he has a 2 min head start. I got within a min or 2 overall at the end or finished ahead of him overall all but the first 2 races and one of those I lost time riding while holding my throttle and stopping twice to tighten it. I also noticed I didn't have to work as hard to go that fast so I'm not as worn out. The only thing better about the Blaster is the seat cushion and the turning radius. I haven't ridden a professional ported/stroked motor, but I doubt it would make me that much faster. Luckily my son just turned 13 so I don't have to get rid of my Blaster, but if I didn't have him I prob would to get some suspension for the YFZ.

I have had my Blaster for 11 years and after 1 full year of racing my YFZ I'm ready to get rid of the Blaster. Have had Blasters only since 99/2000. I don't agree with you can only go so fast in the trails with a Blaster vs. a 450. I raced XC on my Blaster against 450s-up and did OK, but not as fast as my YFZ with just a slip on, wheels/tires, stem/bars, and skids. I have a buddy that would pull 3-6 min faster lap times on me while on the Blaster last year. Between the race season I did not ride either bike outside of my yard and I like my grass. So no practice/zero ride time and my lap times jump up 3-6 min every lap this year. My buddy now starts 2 rows ahead of me so he has a 2 min head start. I got within a min or 2 overall at the end or finished ahead of him overall all but the first 2 races and one of those I lost time riding while holding my throttle and stopping twice to tighten it. I also noticed I didn't have to work as hard to go that fast so I'm not as worn out. The only thing better about the Blaster is the seat cushion and the turning radius. I haven't ridden a professional ported/stroked motor, but I doubt it would make me that much faster. Luckily my son just turned 13 so I don't have to get rid of my Blaster, but if I didn't have him I prob would to get some suspension for the YFZ.

A ported blaster with a head mod is no comparison to a stock or piped blaster. It easily doubles the hp. I will try to race some 450's through the trails this year. it's all personal preference. My point is you can make a blaster plenty fast enough for the trails. It will come down to rider skill then. I'm faster through the trails on my blaster then I am on my ported/piped banshee.

My mods aren't showing up at the bottom. About the only thing stock on my blaster is the seat, plastic, stem, bottom end, and hubs. Have arms, shocks, swingarm, axle, p&p, head work, right bend, intake/carb, stainless lines, stabilizer, and more odds and ends. It definitely handles better, stops better, and has more power than a piped Blaster. It is a quite a bit heavier than a stock Blaster but will still stay with and get by piped 450s from a dead start for the hole shot length. We don't go long enough for me to run out of gearing. I also forgot I gained 3 inches of width on the YFZ so even though I knew I would fit between trees I also had a bit of metal doubt going on first couple races. I know I will even be faster this year. I love the Blaster and I didn't want to move on, but once I did I wish I would have sooner. I think anyone who says keep the Blaster doesn't have a z or a 450. Anyone who does is going to say ditch the Blaster. Luckily even though I have my son to ride it financially I would also be able to keep it. Even purchase price/money invested total the 450 will come out ahead. Same as my brothers CRX with a swap and a turbo years ago. He had same amount into it as a newer than CRX clean vette and it was just as fast. In the end he should have just bought a vette. He just had a few, loved them, and built that one.