How wrong

gbiv610

Jan 24, 2011
The great Mountain State, WV
How unheard of is running a 50 pilot?

History; Stock carb with ken's port, ken's head, VF3 reeds, no air lid, LRD exhaust. I put the motor back together after a complete tear down, replaced seals, couldn't get it to idle correct with 32.5, 35, 37.5, or 40. It would hang revs and rev high on it's own making me have to pop clutch to stall it. During all of this I did a leak down test over and over and one when motor was hot and it continued to hold 7psi for 15-20 min. Now with 50 in, it will run nice and idle good, rev's haven't hung yet and no over revving yet. I feel that this big of a pilot is compensating for something and the first thought is a leak, i just can not find one. Thanks in advance.

hey ya know what though
i got one of those carbs that ken ported with a head mod and i was running a 450 main in 90-100* temps down at busco. no air leak, just needed lots of fuel. kens motor work makes power bud
if your not leakin for sure ......GRIP IT AND RIP IT!!!

lemme get this right, is the cylinder or carb ported ???????????

i say since the motor is not leaking air, then the carb is, or as stated above those floats are way out of adjustment
20 - 21.5 mm float level,
check the oil injection nipple < is it blocked off, or if so leaking ????
carb cap have a good rubber seal in it ??????
airscrew at 1.5 turns out ????

Thanks guys for the quick replies. Awk yeah it's the cylinder that's ported. I will recheck the float, the nipple def plugged good, the carb top has a new gasket ring and tightened the last few times with channel locks, lol. The air screw is actually only 1 turn out. I tried a spare carb with the same jet set up and sure enough same deal, wow, I'm banging my head.

My plans are to replace the stator side and clutch side seals again just for good measure. I'm pretty much out of options.

no reason to do seals, leaktest approved
that rubber will krinkle and leak under the carb cap if overtightened, hand tight is good enuf, no he-man tools needed anywhere on a carb

are these genuine mikuni jets ????

wonder why no one has come up with a carb leak tester yet ?????

intake sealing good, no cracks ????

I would have went and said the same thing about float levels, float levels, float levels. But, you said you put a different carb on with the same jetting specs and she ran the same. The chances of both carbs floats being way off or leaking for that matter is so miniscule. I wouldnt believe it if you told me. IMO you did your job and have your bike tuned. Grip it and rip it bro!!!

I would have went and said the same thing about float levels, float levels, float levels. But, you said you put a different carb on with the same jetting specs and she ran the same. The chances of both carbs floats being way off or leaking for that matter is so miniscule. I wouldnt believe it if you told me. IMO you did your job and have your bike tuned. Grip it and rip it bro!!!

i kinda agree with all of that, just wanna know why any stock carb requires anything bigger than the stock 32.5 pilot,
if so, theres a reason

I pretty much agree with both of you. I'm ready to grip it and rip it and I pretty much did! This beast rolls, freaking scarey when the front wont stay down. But on the other hand I've read time and time again on hear where bigger than 32.5 is not needed. I hate band-aids and want everything perfect. I guess that's why this free blaster has drained my bank, but my darn co-worker thinks his bike will smoke this "little 200". He doesn't know that I had a little help from mister blaster up north,lol.

Awk there's def a reason I'm sure, thanks for the help guys. If I can figure it out I will post for future head bangers.

Oh yeah they are mikuni jet.

Last edited: