how to properly break in bike

shenron9208

Aug 29, 2010
i did a top end rebuild on my lil bro's 91 blaster the shop that bored cylinder told me 2 1/2 tanks without powerband not doubting them but u guys know ur blasters. just want it done right. thanx

thats a good start, just make sure inbetween every break in, i ususally break in using 10-15 minute periods, re tighten down your head bolts and do a leak down and compression test once your done breaking in to make sure nothings gone wrong

leave it for like atleast three to be safe thats how i do mine and 3o minutes standing still with a fan since there air cooled

It's heat cycling that breaks in a motor. The new parts expand and contract until they are perfectly matched to each other.
After about 3 cycles of heating up and cooling down completely they are good to go.

do some heat cycles let it run for 15 minutes then let it cool for 30 do this atleast 3 times but i did 4 with mine, then i rode it around thru all the gear at low rpms then rode it thru all the gears at high rpm < this is a perfect time to do a plug chop.

this is how i did it, but people will tell you to do it all kinds of ways, its like which oil is better.

There are alot of problems with this article mostly is it's for 4 strokes. 4 strokes don't use the relatively long pistons we do.
It is also for a new OEM bike with a factory bore/hone and factory pistons not a rebuild with and aftermarket piston.
The finer factory honing probably isn't known or being used by your local machine shop. I know my guy uses a relik to bore and hone my stuff.
I do like the guys theory about warm up and hard acceleration forcing the ring to break in all the way around itself for a good seal though.