How often should I repack my silencer?

Luni

Sep 9, 2009
Layton, UT
www.celicatech.com
Ive never done it up till tonight (its kind of a biotch). I know the bike has at least 5 seasons on it before it was done by me tonight, and the stuff that came out was pretty nasty.

So how often do you guys recommend repacking the silencer?

i just repacked mine with steel wool and it sounds braaaaaapier now if thats the word, the old fiberglass packing was almost nonexistent and it seems to run better now too, and now i repack when it gets too loud. EDIT: i thought only supporting members could post in here, i forgot what section i was in until i posted, or is it like the for sale section? where you need at least 300 posts?

you can use the pink panther instulation stuff if cost is the issue its like 10 bucks for a pack thatll last you years and years

From what Ive read, the insulation burns up even quicker than the FMF stuff. The stuff I bought was from RMATV but I dont remember the brand. Wasnt the FMF stuff, got better reviews and was cheaper. Hell, at this point, anything is better than what I pulled out of it though.

To be honest, repacking the silencer didnt have the effect I thought it would. Its a little quieter out the tailpipe, but not much.

Can you use just any old insulation?? I have half a roll of insulation with paper backing on one side though. Could I just peel it off the paper and stuff it in there??

On second thought, screw it, I know my dickhead neighbor hates the sound of my quad and I like for him to hear it!!

I packed my son's Banshee with stainless steel pot scrubbers, six in each can. Very raspy without being to loud. 3M brand no. 84, if 0000 is fine, you can gues how rough 84 is,lol. Got a Vito's Fat Bastard with maybe ten hours on it, might do it too just to see what it sounds like.