How many use the clutch

Same here...I'll occasionally slide up a gear without clutching, but I try to reach for the clutch lever whenever I can. Unlike on a Banshee, its hard to get into the tranny of a Blaster so I'd rather use my clutch and make the gears last than bang 'em around and bend or break something.

That being said, the clutch on my 2005 Blaster is smooth as butter with its well-lubed cable, and I'm fixin' to go to a Magura hydro setup anyways, so clutching all day long doesn't tire my hand out from constant clutch lever pulling.

you can shift anything without the clutch if you use the throttle to shift. think about big rigs, they only use clutch for takeoff, just gotta be smooth and catch it at the right time. cant just stomp it into gear, especially on a hill where you could jack yourself up if the trans let go and locked up on ya from the shift fork in the cogs like the old cartoons!

Actually the proper way to shift a non-synchronized transmission is to double clutch. Clutch the transmission out of gear, re-engage the clutch to allow the input shaft to slow down (or speed up in the case of downshifting) to the proper RPM to match the tail shaft, and the clutch the transmission together into the proper gear.

While you are correct that an un-synchronized transmission CAN be driven without using the clutch, that tears up transmissions even when there is no "grinding" indicative of "missed" gears. Ask an Eaton representative if he loves truck drivers who don't use the clutch. He'll tell you that's who pays his salary...

<----class A CDL licensed driver with a 1990 Kenworth T900, 13 speed Eaton roadranger, Detroit series 60.

Actually the proper way to shift a non-synchronized transmission is to double clutch. Clutch the transmission out of gear, re-engage the clutch to allow the input shaft to slow down (or speed up in the case of downshifting) to the proper RPM to match the tail shaft, and the clutch the transmission together into the proper gear.

While you are correct that an un-synchronized transmission CAN be driven without using the clutch, that tears up transmissions even when there is no "grinding" indicative of "missed" gears. Ask an Eaton representative if he loves truck drivers who don't use the clutch. He'll tell you that's who pays his salary...

<----class A CDL licensed driver with a 1990 Kenworth T900, 13 speed Eaton roadranger, Detroit series 60.

Throttle blipping for the win. I:I

I just release the throttle no clutch unless I'm taking off. I'm not slamming it into gear at WOT. and yes I know how dog engagement transmissions work lol

:( your transmission, not mine....

Actually, as I understood the eaton presentation, the problem with not using the clutch to disengage the transmission isn't the "grind" you get when engaging the transmission at unmatched speeds. It's the "slide" out of gear that harms the transmissions the worst. The dogs are hardened on their faces to take a little beating but the dogs are not hard all the way through (I would assume the same is true with motorcycle/dirtbike/4 wheeler transmission parts as well)

Disengaging the transmission without using the clutch causes the dogs to "slip" past each other. It eats up the backside of the engagement dogs and puts metal into the transmission lube. That then eats up bearings and bushings, in particular the bushings inside the gears riding on the shafts, causing the gears to not spin smoothly on the shafts and the shafts to not spin smoothly in the cases. It wears the transmission out from the inside-out, not JUST beats the engagement dogs to death.

The only time i use the clutch is when i take off. I just installed a new crank in my bottom end, while i was there i check out all my tranny components. No signs of wear, no shiny, abnormally smooth spots or chips and they are all stock from 01. I see no problem in not using the clutch to shift. IMO

I use the clutch most of the time especially when theres a load on gears but if im going easy or slowing down i get rpm at point where there is very little to no load on the gears and it just falls in.

All the motorcycles ive had threw my life I hav never had a tranny go out, I hav 50k miles on this streetbike and only used it to stop and take off, i was assuming that these tranny's r the same but wanted to make sure was all, it shifts so smooth with out a clutch, I again ASSUMED they had the syncomesh trans like my street bike,
maybe i need to start using my clutch hmmmm

i use my clutch when i take off, stop, or shift gears. i just dont want to risk anything speed shifting without my clutch. thats why im going to mod my shift star though