How many use the clutch

yeah, i use mine all the time, but i have come into the habit of speed shifting.

most of the time i use it. occasionally i wont think about it and throw off a shift without it. usually i put a little bit of pressure on the shifter then when i let off the gas and pull in the clutch it shifts without extra effort. makes my shifts pretty fast

I would think shifting without the clutch would put more wear and stress on the trans gears. I always use the clutch and slip it when I need to.

I would think shifting without the clutch would put more wear and stress on the trans gears. I always use the clutch and slip it when I need to.

bent_fork.jpg

Last edited:
square engagement dogs are not designed to be slammed. That will eventually take its toll on the transmission...

That being said, I speed shift on the 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shift when I'm at the drag strip. I take the moment on the 3rd to 4th because there really isn't any lost time with that shift.

I dont slam mine, simple lift on the shifter and off the gas and she slips right in,
arnt't these syncro(sp)mesh trans like on motorcycles. I could be wrong but i thot they were

no these are constant mesh. the gears are always connected and turning and the forks just engage them. that is why theyshift so much rougher than say a 450

LOL!:D A syncronized transmission uses brass "syncro" rings to help the gears engage smoother. Blasters (and a lot of others) use what I would refer to as a "rock crusher" trans. Some of the newer , bigger street bikes may have syncros for all I know.

BTW, "Rock Crusher" is a drag race term from the 60-70s, if you care to research it:D.

Always use mine except if i need more powerband goin up a hill. but the guy whom owned my quad first never used clutch. And when the cases were split you should of seen the shifting fork? i do belive thats what its called. It was so worn from not using the clutch.