How I repaired my clutch basket

chuck_neste

Jun 15, 2007
Hello All,

I thought I was screwed and had nothing else to loose. I had 2 clutch baskets, one with a broken gear( missing) and the other had a broken lets say the "U" post that hold in the clutch plates in the clutch basket with a stripped gear. I decided I had nothing to loose to try to repair it. I placed the basket with the broken gear (bad teeth) and put it in a vice with the gear facing up clamping down on the drive teeth make sure that there was no pressure on the outer basket.( Dont over tighten). I got my propane tank out and heated the gear on the outside for 5 minutes evenly around the gear. I then used a large cold chisel and placed it underneath the gear and whack ed it with a hammer and repeated at 180 degrees from my first spot.

PLEASE NOTE: The gear has 2 slots that locks into the basket. Do not chisel in this area. I chiseled a few times around the gear until the gear popped off. Have patience and add more heat if needed. The gear did start to turn blue.

Reinstall:

I then removed the old clutch basket from the vice and put the one that had no gear ( snapped off) . I then reheated the removed gear on my concrete floor concentrating heat on the INNER part of the gear. I did this for 2 minutes and then picked it up with a pair of channel locks and placed it over the shaft on the clutch basket . Be sure to align the gear up so it locks into the clutch basket correctly ( same as from above not to chisel around the slots). Once you have it aligned correctly and quickly, I used a socket to ensure I add even pressure as I tapped the gear into place. I have not reinstalled the basket as I am waiting for some other parts. GOOD LUCK

Chuck
Atl, GAI:I