how do you remove crank seal bracket screw?

crazyjust

Apr 7, 2011
Tamaqua, Pa
I just rebuilt the top end, and decided to change my clutch and while I had it tore down that I would change crank seals. I pulled the clutch, clutch boss, and the gear on the crank. I pulled the collar out of the seal and off the crank. There is a bracket that covers the bottom half of the seal that is held on by a big phillips head screw. Now I know this is very obvious how it comes out, but I would like to know what you people use to get this screw out (before I booger it all up). I tried a big screwdriver but it would't budge.

you need to invest in an Impact Screwdriver. You put the head in the screw and smack it with a hammer to break it loose. They are sold at lots of places. I bought mine at Northern Tool but here is one from Sears

Sears.com

One more question. I know when assembling the clutch you have to line the pressure plate mark up with the clutch boss mark, but is there a specific way you have to put the clutch housing and clutch boss on the shaft?

I have not been in a Blaster guts for a while but I do not think there is any special way you need to install.

Remember to put some grease on the ball between the push rods.

Tension up the nut to 58 ft lbs and use a new lock washer.

Ok thanks. The impact screwdriver worked very well. Who would have thought it was that easy. I'm glad I didn't heat it. As for the ball, I gotta get a stronger magnet, and small rod to get it out and inspect. Can I do my pressure test before I put the oil in?

Time to leak test..

Those impact screwdrivers are great. They work wonders on rusty old brake drums. A must for any tool box.

They aren't bad if you have the right tools, take your time, and lay everything out the way it came off. If it wasn't for everyone and the info here, I doubt I would have attempted it.