Honing Cylinder

Linton_Wade87

Mar 8, 2011
Wisconsin
Im honing the cylinder and wondering how long to do it for? I saw 15-30 sec, sum say 2-3 min. Or should i just keep going til the scuff marks are gone??

Also, have a cylinder mic at 66.9897mm...what size piston to i get??
Thanks in advance!

Heres the pics
101_0519.jpg

101_0520.jpg

i think thats gonna need "bored" to the next size, not just honed, i don't believe you can hone to the next size, only hone to add cross hatches to seat new rings, not new piston size

Those scuffs look like they are deeper than a hone will rectify I would take the safe option and rebore. Is it my eyes or do I see a heap of crap in the ports, they could with do with a little attention methinks!

Im honing the cylinder and wondering how long to do it for? I saw 15-30 sec, sum say 2-3 min. Or should i just keep going til the scuff marks are gone??

Also, have a cylinder mic at 66.9897mm...what size piston to i get??
Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you need some help with this one. If there are scuffs, you might need to bore to the next size.

alright, thanks guys!...gettin bored out within the next couple days.
cant really tell in the pics, but looks like the previous owner tried to port it, its bad looking!

Also, you'll have to wait till you get the cylinder back from the shop to figure out what size new piston you'll need. They'll take the least amount possible but it's tough to judge how much they'll need to take before they get to it.

/\/\/\ nope, a good shop will tell you what size piston to get,
then bore/hone it to that exact piston size
yep, every one has slight differences, and may need a thousandth here or there different bore/hone

let the shop tell you what size piston you'll need, and if they can't,
take your cylinder and run away
then call ken oconnor racing

the shop by me said, i need the piston first, and it would be $350 to bore cuz they need to send it out to sumone cuz it would need to be re-coated with sumthin....what u guys think???

Reactions: sicivicdude
$350 for a bore? Your builders rent must be due. It looks like he's quoting you a plated cylinder. As we all know, stock Blaster cylinders have iron liners are able to be repaired by boring the cylinder. You don't need to have it plated. Tell him to measure the cylinder, advise a piston size and bore the cylinder.

/\/\/\/\ and pay no more than $60-75 tops for the bore work
like i said above, at the first hint that shop has their head up there ass and don't know what they're talkin about...........RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY

I'm with Awk on this one, I wouldn't get THAT shop to do ANYTHING to my cylinder.

I have a local auto parts store chain which has a machine shop I take my blasty cylinders to. They do an excellent job, have stuff back to me in a day or three (including travel time from their local branch to the machine shop and back), and it only costs $48 for the bore job including hone and chamfer.

If that jackwagon wants $350 because he "has to get it plated", RUN RUN RUN! A few things to consider... he obviously doesn't know blasters if he thinks they're Nikasil'd, he made an egregious error quoting something before he did any homework (obviously not a very good business man), and he's too lazy to do any research into the subject. Why would you want him working on anything you have?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Many places will want the piston to get the exact measurement on the piston so you have the right piston to cylinder wall clearence. I'm a machinist myself actually. But yeah it's not hard to tell that the cylinder is plated or not lol. But yeah if you don't find a local place send it to someone who knows blasters like ken. Probably does those cylinders everyday. And another thing is that it's kinda hard to tell how bad the cylinder is in a picture but you could always try honing it and if it doesn't clean up you just get it bored. Not like trying to hone it is gonna hurt anything.