honda civic motor swap

blasterman87

Nov 17, 2008
i might be picking up an older hatch with a blown motor, its an 89 with a good 5spd tranny, it had a 1.6 non v-tec in it, whats a biger motor thats not to hard to find, i was thinking an integra ls motor (1.8 dohc) or something better?? can i use the stock tranny with the 1.8? how bout with other motors?? what needs changed?

If i was you i would just do the b18b (LS) or b18c (GSR) swap but you will need the motor, tranny, wiring harness, ecu, shift linkage and motor mounts. or you could just do a d16y8 out of a newer model civic. Which is the single cam Vtec motor. All you would need then is probably the harness and ECU.

i have a 91 integra i swaped mine last summer with a gsr b18 c5 and the thing makes mad power the gen. 1 vtech has the best overall power the 2nd gen. come with vtech controler both are nice if done right but if u got lil cash do a ls vtech can make killer hp's for cheap I:I

i have a 91 integra i swaped mine last summer with a gsr b18 c5 and the thing makes mad power the gen. 1 vtech has the best overall power the 2nd gen. come with vtech controler both are nice if done right but if u got lil cash do a ls vtech can make killer hp's for cheap I:I

It is spelled vtec not vtech.

i might be picking up an older hatch with a blown motor, its an 89 with a good 5spd tranny, it had a 1.6 non v-tec in it, whats a biger motor thats not to hard to find, i was thinking an integra ls motor (1.8 dohc) or something better?? can i use the stock tranny with the 1.8? how bout with other motors?? what needs changed?

what model of civic is it if it has a 1.6 in it now than its either an si or someone put it in there if i were you i would find another d16a6 and build the motor with a bishimoto cam amd some p29 pistons you can buy a whole hi compression rebuild kit with pistons gaskets bearings and etc for around 400.00 from fj distributor and with a good cam and a little tuning that car would smoke ls swaped civics and gsr teg's easy

what model of civic is it if it has a 1.6 in it now than its either an si or someone put it in there if i were you i would find another d16a6 and build the motor with a bishimoto cam amd some p29 pistons you can buy a whole hi compression rebuild kit with pistons gaskets bearings and etc for around 400.00 from fj distributor and with a good cam and a little tuning that car would smoke ls swaped civics and gsr teg's easy

thats what i was thinking.. my 89 civic hatch was a 1.5

its an 89 si, its the non vtec 1.6, the same as a 1.5 just diffrent heads i believe. my crx had the same motor in it, wasnt bad but im definatly getting the car and im trading the 250x for it, the car has teg seats,brand new body kit not installed,brand new z3 fenders, short shifter,halo headlights,and a few other odds. but i also have a few parts i salveged from my crx like mirrors,glow guages, and nice seats, race wheel.. small sh*t

its an 89 si, its the non vtec 1.6, the same as a 1.5 just diffrent heads i believe. my crx had the same motor in it, wasnt bad but im definatly getting the car and im trading the 250x for it, the car has teg seats,brand new body kit not installed,brand new z3 fenders, short shifter,halo headlights,and a few other odds. but i also have a few parts i salveged from my crx like mirrors,glow guages, and nice seats, race wheel.. small sh*t

the 1.5 and 1.6 are totaly different engines the 1.5 has a 207mm deck height and the 1.6 has a 212mm deck height the crank journals are bigger the stroke is bigger the bore is the same the head is the same but the cam is different and the valve springs are different and the 1.5 is dual point injected and the 1.6 has multi point injection sorry if im rambling but hondas are kinda my thing ive built many of them

try to find some1 who is into auctions u have to know some1 who exports or buys and sells cars u can find anithing u want with harnesses and sh*t for the same price of buying a gsr b18c if i didnt have a truck i would have a ek with a k20 in it turboed juiced since its all cheap to do and find!

i like the body kit and stuff like that, so i wont sell it, actually i still have the blaster (my favorite quad) and the one i have the most money in, so i think i made out on the deal the hondas costing me 500 (price of 250x)plus the guys towing it like 45 miles one way, but if i have to im going to sell the blaster to buy a motor/tranny for the car.. depends on how much ill like it when it gets here. anyone have any rough costs on some of the motor swaps? ill do all the work myself, i found a b16 from a wrecked crx, they said the whole swaps 1500, is that good motor/price?

if you deffinatly dont want to stick with the d-series and your heart is set on a b-series swap than the cheapest and easiest swap is a b18a from a db integra you'll need the integra motor mounts off the engine the chassis mounts are the same and the engine trans and axles and ecu there will be no wiring involved with this swap just simply bolt it in and go you should be able to buy the whole swap from a salvage yard for around 600 total depending on were your from if you need more tecnical info on this feel free to pm me and i will be happy to help

well, found a obd1 jdm b16 with a lsd tranny, i think im gonna give up the blasty for it, im just wondering whats up with the tranny, guy said after he put it in his civic it only goes into 1st and 3rd, the other gears wont go in they just grind like there just touching the gears barely... so idk if its lenkege or what

well, found a obd1 jdm b16 with a lsd tranny, i think im gonna give up the blasty for it, im just wondering whats up with the tranny, guy said after he put it in his civic it only goes into 1st and 3rd, the other gears wont go in they just grind like there just touching the gears barely... so idk if its lenkege or what

he probably did not use the right shift rods cause the d-series rods and the b-series rods are different length so it would work in 1&3 because when you move the shifter it pulls th rod out right to the gear but in 2&4 it pushes the rod in and it has to go further cause it has to go past the neutral point than into gear but besides the rods being wrong that tranny wont work in your car anyway cause your car has a cable clutch and that trans is hydro clutch and your car is obd-0 so you'll have to buy and adapter harness to hook the obd1 ecu to the obd-0 harness than you'll have to run your own vtec wiring which is easy it only 2 wires pin A4 at the ecu plug to the vtec solenoid and pin D6 in the ecu plug to the vtec pressure switch and the ground to the solenoid just goes to the ground bolt on the water neck