MOTOR SWAP AND NOW I GOT NO FIRE!!!

PsykoScott

May 16, 2008
Ok, so I bought an older blaster and it runs good but has a bent frame....so I found another one with a blown motor but everything else is supposed to be fine.....so I swapped the engine to the good frame, and now I got no spark...I've swapped everything....cdi, voltage regulator, coil, carb, everything from the old quad....I got spark coming out of the engine, and up to the cdi, but the orange wire coming out of the cdi going to the coil doesnt have any power...and it did yesterday on the other bike, same setup, just different frame and wiring harness, which I've gone thru and checked for broked wires as well.........doesnt make any sense....even swapped the on/off switch.....tors is still on it for now but it's disconnected.....
anyone got any ideas?

check your grounds and recheck your wiring for a incorrect or unhooked one...my only suggestion, but if your getting spark to the plug it should run and then i would start checking air and fuel, try dumping a teeny teeny amount of gas down the cylinder, make sure plug is dry and clean and kick it SEVERAL times and see what happens...

thanks.............I was laying in bed last night running thru everything in my head and a bad ground came to mind.....now that it's stopped raining I'm gonna go check it out............

so I'm completely at a loss............I've removed all unnecessary wiring, tors, tail lights, and rewired the entire system.....the black/red wire coming from the engine has power going into the cdi and the black/white wire coming from the cdi has power, but the orange wire from the cdi won't get hot.....I've switched cdi's from the old bike that was running and it's the same....how often do cdi's go out? how could I turn the bike off, swap motors, then try to restart it and have the cdi be bad? it's got a good ground........what else could cause the orange wire leading to the coil not to be hot?

might be the pickup coil............power coming from the black/red wire from the stator, and from the yellow/red, but nothing from the white/red.....this is the pickup coil right? if it's not hot then the orange wire leading to the coil won't get hot either? I hope this is it........crazy how it worked on the other frame, but now it doesn't.....

well, after finally tearing every-freakin'-wire off Frankenblaster, I called a friend of mine who is a diesel mechanic and he looked at the wiring harness I had built and within 10 minutes had figured out the problem.....so now I got spark and now it fires up within 2-3 kicks.....gotta get the carb rebuilt now and gets some new reeds installed and then it's off to the river.....thanks for all the info everyone....I donated $10 to the forum because it would have cost me alot more than that at the Yamaha shop ...........soon as I get some time I'll get pics of my ugly blaster and the mods I'm doing to it....